Help me identify and help these Tortoises/Turtles!!!

Xabbusan

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
I work Security at a private school and have been worried about some tortoises (I believe) that are in one of the classrooms. Can someone help me identify them? I have Zero experience with turtles or tortoises but I don't believe that they are being very well taken care of. Everyone left for Spring Break and they just left a couple of shriveled apple pieces in the tank and when I checked today their muddy water cup was empty.

Usually when I look in on them they hide in their shells, but today (after a week with no-one here) they were totally out of their shells, one tried to bite me when i reached in, and they let me pick them up without going into their shells which they have never done before... are they starving/dehydrated?

I would like to help them out as much as I can, so info on proper cage/food setup would be much appreciated. They are currently in a 20 gallon with dirt/bark substrate and just a dirty tupperware that occasionally has water in it. I read through the forum post on beginner mistakes by Tom and it seems like nearly everything is wrong with this situation :(

Orange 1.jpg Orange 2.jpg Orange 3.jpg Tank.jpg Yellow 1.jpg Yellow 2.jpg Yellow 3.jpg

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Those are box turtles and they're being neglected. Thank you for helping when they're not even your responsibility. Looks like they could use a warm soaking, some worms, and a warm lamp. And even a new home! Poor things, this is why turtles don't do good as classroom pets.

Xabbusan

Seattle, WA
Thanks so much!! I was leaning towards box turtle too once I found some pictures online. I am bringing some lettuce and veggies in to work with me tomorrow and a temporary shoe box w/ an entrance hole as a hide. I am going to run to the pet store after work and get a proper hide, water hole, food dish, heat lamp, calcium supplement, worms or insects and maybe some new substrate also.

Once I find out who the teacher is that is supposed to be taking care of them, I am going to offer to take them off their hands. I actually found out that my roommate's friend has a large tortoise and she has offered to pitch in on cost and also to have her husband build a proper enclosure!! We were all extremely upset to see the state of these turtles and I know we could offer them a much better life.

It blows my mind that a teacher (at a catholic school of all places) has such disregard for life. It sure isn't teaching the kids to respect all life to see these guys like this.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
I think that's a great idea! Praying that it works out best for those guys, they need it!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thanks so much!! I was leaning towards box turtle too once I found some pictures online. I am bringing some lettuce and veggies in to work with me tomorrow and a temporary shoe box w/ an entrance hole as a hide. I am going to run to the pet store after work and get a proper hide, water hole, food dish, heat lamp, calcium supplement, worms or insects and maybe some new substrate also.

Once I find out who the teacher is that is supposed to be taking care of them, I am going to offer to take them off their hands. I actually found out that my roommate's friend has a large tortoise and she has offered to pitch in on cost and also to have her husband build a proper enclosure!! We were all extremely upset to see the state of these turtles and I know we could offer them a much better life.

It blows my mind that a teacher (at a catholic school of all places) has such disregard for life. It sure isn't teaching the kids to respect all life to see these guys like this.
This breaks my heart! I hope the teacher will be cooperative. Good for you to step in when you did.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Well done my friend ! !
Just make sure, before you purchase things from a pet store, that they are items listed in the "box turtle" specie specific section of this here forum. Often times, pet stores will sell things that not only are incorrect for the turtle/tortoise but even dangerous for them. Petstores need to sell what they have in innovatory, not what's for the best of the critters.
Pass on The Tortoise Forum to people as well. The World Wide Internet Machine is full of old, out of date information that even Veternary Drs. still use. Here, you find good, practical information from folks that only want turtles/tortoises to live long and healthy, prosperous lives.
Keep us up to date with how things go with these little guys. You are doing well by them.

Greta16

Western Maine
OMG!! I'm so glad you found these turtles and actually care! Hopefully the teacher is ok with you stepping in and taking them off your hands..

Alicia Hoogstra

What an amazing heart you have! God Bless you!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is almost animal abuse. Thank goodness you have a good heart and are willing to help these box turtles. They're in a much too small enclosure too.

Alicia Hoogstra

My kids went to a HUGE amazing school district, however they have a Sulcata who has HORRIBLE pyramiding. I asked if it was a rescue, and he's not sure. I was seriously taken back when he showed me a picture.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thank you for helping! Boxies are my favorites!

I have to wonder why she's not willing to take them home during vacations.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
For the record, that looks to be a 40 breeder not a 20 gallon. Still way too small.

ethan508

Northern Utah
Too many people think that you can just buy something in the store and guess at its care without a second thought, then if it doesn't work-out toss it or hand it to someone else and go buy the next cute thing. If you just take these turtle from the classroom, these kids learn that buy/neglect/discard is an acceptable behavioral model (especially if they respect the teacher).

What if, instead of just taking these guy home, you work with the teacher (and students) to set up an appropriate habitat, either at the school or your home; wherever plenty of space and the right environment is achievable. Depending on the age of the kids in the class room, they could do some extra credit to research (on sites this and other good sources) to learn about proper housing and feeding. Or maybe the teacher could add it to a section on biology. In this way, you are rescuing the turtles from bad care and educating a whole classroom in the proper care and feeding of turtles. You fix today's problem and prevent several more like it in the future.

Xabbusan

Seattle, WA
Too many people think that you can just buy something in the store and guess at its care without a second thought, then if it doesn't work-out toss it or hand it to someone else and go buy the next cute thing. If you just take these turtle from the classroom, these kids learn that buy/neglect/discard is an acceptable behavioral model (especially if they respect the teacher).

What if, instead of just taking these guy home, you work with the teacher (and students) to set up an appropriate habitat, either at the school or your home; wherever plenty of space and the right environment is achievable. Depending on the age of the kids in the class room, they could do some extra credit to research (on sites this and other good sources) to learn about proper housing and feeding. Or maybe the teacher could add it to a section on biology. In this way, you are rescuing the turtles from bad care and educating a whole classroom in the proper care and feeding of turtles. You fix today's problem and prevent several more like it in the future.

Thank you! Yes this is what I would prefer and I am hoping that the teacher and school will allow me the space to setup a good habitat for them. I agree that the kids need to learn how to properly take care of a living animal and that when you purchase an animal you need to realize all of the care that needs to go into them, even little turtles. I would love for them to make these turtles a centerpiece of a classroom's learning experience. Otherwise...what is the point in having them?