Help me identify this tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
It's always best to keep the mind set of all tortoise species or that of wild animals. Tortoises in the wild are not a social or group faring animal like birds or a lion pride. If you want another "friend" it needs to be the same species and the enclosure size needs to increase in size drastically, and additional hides and objects placed to "break site" of each specimen kept together. They do ok with each other but don't cohabitate wildly together. Most the time we as tortoise owners tend to apply a human lifestyle to our pets and think they are as social as we are. It is ok to have other tortoises together but only of the same species. Different species have different antibodies that can potentially harm or even kill unlike species that are kept with. So the answer is yes but with considerations of the same species (only other chacos) and with provisions of allocating the enclosure to accept multiple specimens.

Anthony-i

5 Year Member
Again thanks for the help, I am new to this and want to learn everything I can. How hard is it to find another chaco

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Your welcome. They ate attainable here sometimes in the states, but they are not very common at all. I can try and help you find one. They usually run around 600-1500.

Anthony-i

5 Year Member
ok that would be great, I just want to wait and see if the person who my cousin got the chaco has anymore, my cousin got our chaco for free!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That would be awesome. I would also be interested if he could get some more, in a few. Especially if they look like that one. I love the marbling on its shell. Thats very untypical in this species physical appearances. .

Anthony-i

5 Year Member
Yea ill keep in touch with you, but the only problem is bring them across the border, i dont think they will let us bring them if they see the chacos, i think my cousin just got lucky bringing it over

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
You are correct. I was merely saying doing it legally of course. It takes about 6 months to get CITES permit to go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.