Help me please! (Greek not eating)

hayleyarthurtort

5 Year Member
Ive had arthur for a year now, he is 5. Been hibernated twice & has always had a healthy appetite. I feed him kale, watercress, lambs lettuce, the odd blueberry (if he's lucky) and just recently he just ignores his food & walks through it only picking out the blueberrys. I try hand feeding him & he just tries to bite my hand instead! Im really worried & its stressing me out!! I changed his enclosure because i thought he was depressed in the other one he was in. He has a heat lamp & is well looked after! If someone can help meee please!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
RE: Help me please!

What species? What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night? How long are your lights on each day? What are you using for heating and lighting? Where are you?

hayleyarthurtort

5 Year Member
Help me please!

He is a spur thigh. He has an exo terra light & thats all i was given with him. Ive looked up that i need a UV lamp also? I need someone to tell me what other lights he needs? I leave it on 4hours in the morning & when i get home i turn it on again & he has a run around. Im in england so he'll be winding down soon. All help will be much appreciated!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

You are referring to a Greek right? Is there a reason you only leave the lights on for four hours and then not and the back on when you get home? The lights/heat should be kept on for 12 hours or so and if your home is cold at night there should be a night heat source...Your tort is likely too cold...

He is probably associating your fingers with food and not trying to bite you but what he perceives as food....are you hand feeding him every so often or always?

How long have you had him set up in his way?

hayleyarthurtort

5 Year Member
Help me please!

Yes greek. Whenever i leave the light on he warms up then goes away from it & sleeps & sometimes he'll sleep all day & not come out. Ive hand fed him for a while as when i dont he'll just ignore food. He bites everything, feet, cats tail!! He's very friendly & just follows people everywhere. I think ive maybe made him lazy by hand feeding? He sleeps under the radiator at night sometimes.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

It sound as though he has run of the human house? While this is a practice I don't do....if you are going to let him run around in the house it should only be when you are letting him get some exercise and should only be for a short while...if he is sleeping under the radiator he is again letting you know he is needing warmth...

If he is in his enclosure you can leave the day heat lamps and uv lamp on for 12 hours...while he does not come out and lay under the lamps all day, he will use them throughout the day to regulate his body temp requirements...and yes, he absolutely needs exposure to uva/uvb during the day---this is a requirement that is not only for his shell but for mental well being and for processing of the nutrients in his food....what is his diet usually?

At night, if your home is cool (and he seems to think so if he is seeking refuge near/under the radiator :D) then he would likely appreciate sleeping in his own enclosure with some type of added night heat...you can even use a black night light (75 watt or more) to provide warmth.....

You also said the last two years he brumated? How as that done?

hayleyarthurtort

5 Year Member
Help me please!

Not all the time, i just let him out for exercise. I will get him something for the night time then. Previous owner 'lost' him in the garden & he hibernated himself, he came back out mid march & they found him in the garden. Ive only hibernated him once last year, & it was perfect. I was really worried at first but did my research. & he came out early march.

Sorry his diet is kale, lambs lettuce, watercress.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Good....I would absolutely set up all day lights and uv rays and night heat....then when he is closer to the brumation start you can back off of the food and allow him to wind down....

Where did you brumate him last year?