HELP ME! PLEASE! (tortoise walked through tar)

TheTOAD

My year old sulcata got loose from our yard today and after a panic search party, we found her a few houses down across the street. She walked through tar and it stuck to her feet and part of her shell, how can i get it off?!? I scrubbed a little bit off with my finger nail but she wont sit still. Please help me.

TheTOAD

My year old sulcata got loose from our yard today and after a panic search party, we found her a few houses down across the street. She walked through tar and it stuck to her feet and part of her shell, how can i get it off?!? I scrubbed a little bit off with my finger nail but she wont sit still. Please help me.
Glad you found her, sorry about the tar. I will try to get you some help. @Yvonne G @tortadise @Tom
Thanks alot, im very happy i found her too, i didnt think she could move that fast i was only gone for 5-10 mins and i was only around the corner

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Happy to know you found her and a lessen and warning to me never think tortoise are slow.

I will wait for those experts's advises too.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
maybe try some Dawn dish soap and a toothbrush. they use dawn soap to get oil off of birds. glad you found her, good luck.

TheTOAD

i will, i just wanna make sure she didnt get any of it in her mouth

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I doubt she ate any, but you never know. As for removing it, I would try dawn, I know it can get oil off animals, and tar is oil based. dawn and toothbrush for now. As for ingestion If she di d eat any, you would probably see her acting funny by now, I would handle it as poison control would handle it. They suggest to not induce vomiting ( especially difficult in a tortoise) could cause more damage on the way back up. Monitor for now and try dawn.

Last edited:

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
my boyfriend said that likes desolve likes, so he said to try some vasoline and toothbrush. he said gasoline will take it off but i dont know if you want to use that. if you do you will have to wash him after that.

TheTOAD

Il try dawn and it looks like it got on her mouth a little like she smelled it but I dont think she ingested any of it cuz I gave her a grape and she ate it ok

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
She prob. bent down to smell it, found out it smells bad, and then moved on.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Haha....found out it smells bad, and then moved on.....Someone is very smart.

whisper

5 Year Member
SE FL
I remember we used baby oil to get tar off our feet from the beach when I was a kid.

kmartin

central Florida
Toothpaste, plain white abrasive toothpaste. Usually the cheap stuff works best. Apply it to a rag an rub it in it will take layers off of the tar, you may need several rags. Then bathe the sully and scrub the area to remove all toothpaste. It may take a while to come clean.

Telid

5 Year Member
TX
my boyfriend said that likes desolve likes, so he said to try some vasoline and toothbrush. he said gasoline will take it off but i dont know if you want to use that. if you do you will have to wash him after that.
Yeah - gasoline will dissolve tar, but it is not good to get on your skin let alone your little guy's skin. Don't use gas...