HELP!! HELP!! PLEASE DONT IGNORE :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

prayforrusty

5 Year Member
I have a russian tortoise named rusty shes sick her shell is soft her eyes wont open and they look puffy, shes not eating(i have to force her mouth open and put it in there) ive been trying to give her a bath everyday since the day i seen she was sick and she does drink the water, i just got her a new light and a calcium bar, her cage is 10 gallons, she eats mostly romaine, and ferns from outside, also she wont use the bathroom.

To be honest i havent been paying her much attention before i noticed something was wrong because i just got a new dog and i had to potty train him and everything. just please im desperate i need some help i just miss my energic rusty please help :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There's a bunch wrong with how you are taking care of Rusty, and he's now paying the price, I'm sorry.

I really think it's probably too late to help him. Your best bet is to take him to a vet for calcium injections. That's why he's soft...lack of calcium and vitamin d3.

For the time being you can keep him in the 10 gallon space because he's sick and needs to be in the smaller, hospital habitat. But if he gets better, 10 gallons is WAY TOO SMALL for a russian tortoise. So, increase the temperature in the habitat to about 85F degrees, get the calcium injections and if you can't get him out into the sun for the D3, then buy an expensive Mercury Vapor Bulb for the UVB that it provides.

The diet leaves a lot to be desired too, but with his other problems, trying to change it now isn't wise.

Good luck with Rusty. This is going to be a very hard uphill battle for the both of you.

prayforrusty

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
There's a bunch wrong with how you are taking care of Rusty, and he's now paying the price, I'm sorry.

I really think it's probably too late to help him. Your best bet is to take him to a vet for calcium injections. That's why he's soft...lack of calcium and vitamin d3.

For the time being you can keep him in the 10 gallon space because he's sick and needs to be in the smaller, hospital habitat. But if he gets better, 10 gallons is WAY TOO SMALL for a russian tortoise. So, increase the temperature in the habitat to about 85F degrees, get the calcium injections and if you can't get him out into the sun for the D3, then buy an expensive Mercury Vapor Bulb for the UVB that it provides.

The diet leaves a lot to be desired too, but with his other problems, trying to change it now isn't wise.

Good luck with Rusty. This is going to be a very hard uphill battle for the both of you.

Thank you so much for the advice she sick but ive been trying my best to bring her back to her normal self by myself but i guess your right i gotta stop being stubburn and take her to a vet ok thank so mich i really appreciate it i will update you if she gets better

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Yvonne is right - She is beyond home care at this point. Tortoises tend to hide their sickness until they are VERY sick. Vet care is the best chance you have to help your tort! Please make an appointment ASAP.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Along with the Vet, be sure to get him out as much as possible in the sunshine. Not the best time of year to be doing this in many places, but try. Make sure he can get out of the direct sun and into shade if he wants, so he does not over heat (if your temps are even high enough to worry about it). A good UVB light over him when inside (about 12 hours a day of light and/or sun). Try soaking him in liquid calcium and baby food, as I recall your saying he is not eating right? Are you putting anything on the foods your feeding? Like calcium type powder? Have you tried other things on him?

prayforrusty

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Along with the Vet, be sure to get him out as much as possible in the sunshine. Not the best time of year to be doing this in many places, but try. Make sure he can get out of the direct sun and into shade if he wants, so he does not over heat (if your temps are even high enough to worry about it). A good UVB light over him when inside (about 12 hours a day of light and/or sun). Try soaking him in liquid calcium and baby food, as I recall your saying he is not eating right? Are you putting anything on the foods your feeding? Like calcium type powder? Have you tried other things on him?
Btw guys its a girl

And ive feed her some aquatic pellets but i stopped cause it had some fishmeal in it and shes eat plants and i have a calcium bar and i hand feed her that and her shell has gotten stronger but not strong enough, im a little upset i just gave her a bath and i took her out so i could dump the water and i open the door and hit her on the left side of her shell -.- omg i just wish this could be like a human getting sick cause this is frustrating. She has a crack and i can always. Seal them back up she had cracks before and they look good as new. Im really gonna stay dedicated to her. Please pray for her please

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Until you can get him to a vet, give him warm soaks of electrolytes (Pedialyte), carrot baby food, and liquid calcium. Do this two times daily: once in the morning, and the second in the evening. Keep him warm (85 degrees), and what uvb bulb do you have, or do you have one? Yvonne suggested a mercury vapor bulb (MVB) which is what I would use. Get one at 100w. I found a website where you can buy MVB cheaper than anywhere I've bought them in the past. You can get one for as low as $29.99. The website is: http://www.herpsupplies.com/subcategory.cfm?id=11&sub=88

She has cracks on her shell? And you glue them back? With what? I really need to know how you mend your tortoise. I'm usually very sympathetic with people who don't know how they are hurting their animals, but really, you need to pay more attention to your tortoise; or else, give it to someone who can dedicate time to help this tortoise bet better. She deserves it! Now, listen to the advice that you've been given, and act now.

prayforrusty

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Until you can get him to a vet, give him warm soaks of electrolytes (Pedialyte), carrot baby food, and liquid calcium. Do this two times daily: once in the morning, and the second in the evening. Keep him warm (85 degrees), and what uvb bulb do you have, or do you have one? Yvonne suggested a mercury vapor bulb (MVB) which is what I would use. Get one at 100w. I found a website where you can buy MVB cheaper than anywhere I've bought them in the past. You can get one for as low as $29.99. The website is: http://www.herpsupplies.com/subcategory.cfm?id=11&sub=88

ImageUploadedByTortForum1381100545.636262.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381100579.331610.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
OMG, GET HER INTO A WARM BATH WITH ELECTROLYTES NOW!
Go out to a walmart or walgreens and get Pedialyte and baby food carrots or squash. In a pet shop, you can get liquid calcium. Then make a warm soak and put her into it for 30-60 minutes, always making sure the water stays warm. Watch over her ever 15 minutes, and if you can, check on her during the night. Get her to a vet who knows how to deal with tortoises and it's an emergency! She may not make it, I hope you know that.

Your setup for her is horrible! There's no water dish, no hide, no nothing!!!! How long have you had her?

prayforrusty said:
sibi said:

prayforrusty

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Go out to a walmart or walgreens and get Pedialyte and baby food carrots or squash. In a pet shop, you can get liquid calcium. Then make a warm soak and put her into it for 30-60 minutes, always making sure the water stays warm. Watch over her ever 15 minutes, and if you can, check on her during the night. Get her to a vet who knows how to deal with tortoises and it's an emergency! She may not make it, I hope you know that.

Your setup for her is horrible! There's no water dish, no hide, no nothing!!!! How long have you had her?

prayforrusty said:
sibi said:

I have a dish im cleaning it. Idk anymore im gonna upgrade everything sometime this week

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In addition to the above, ferns are toxic.

Please learn from this experience...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Forget the upgrades for now. She needs electrolytes now!!!! Just go to Walmart and/or the pet store. Walmart may have the liquid calcium in the pet's area. If so, then you can get the calcium, baby food, and the Pedialyte all in one swoop. Your baby needs that now, not tomorrow, not in a couple of hours, but now.

prayforrusty said:
sibi said:

prayforrusty said:
sibi said:

I have a dish im cleaning it. Idk anymore im gonna upgrade everything sometime this week

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Prayforrusty- I am glad you are going to take her to a vet, and upgrade her situation. It is really sad that there is SO MUCH bad information out there about how to raise tortoises, and this bad info often leads to very sick tortoises.

prayforrusty

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
Prayforrusty- I am glad you are going to take her to a vet, and upgrade her situation. It is really sad that there is SO MUCH bad information out there about how to raise tortoises, and this bad info often leads to very sick tortoises.

Please I'm just asking for a sincere prayer please i really don't wanna lose her i would be devastated if i lost her please pray pray pray pray i had her since i was 9 please i don't wanna lose her I'm really sorry i let her got in the condition that shes in just pray please. To be honest guys i really don't have the money for a vet or the equipment she needs please ill do anything can you guys help me start a fund raiser for i dont wanna lose her i just cant please

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Rusty has been with you since you were 9. She had a journey with you for a certain amount of time and I am sure there was much joy because you sound sincere in not wanting to lose her. As we get older, other things come. The new puppy, school, just new things in life. And that which we cherished can become forgotten. Please do what others have said. Get the baby foods (carrot or squash) and the Pedialyte and soak her in warm water for at least 30 minutes. Change the water if it cools off. This will get something in her. She needs to have her temps upped. And feed her even if it is Romaine, just to get something in her. Hoping she responds. Sometimes, when they do not eat it is because they know that they can no longer be sustained. But tortoises do not get really bad until it has been bad for awhile. If you lose her, you will learn a lot. If she survives, please make it a priority to take care of her and repay her for the joy she has given you. Either way, it is a life lesson. For all we know, her journey with you may be over, or will continue. Rusty will have taught you a lot. God bless Rusty. Prayers sent your way ...

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
prayforrusty said:
Madkins007 said:

Please I'm just asking for a sincere prayer please i really don't wanna lose her i would be devastated if i lost her please pray pray pray pray i had her since i was 9 please i don't wanna lose her I'm really sorry i let her got in the condition that shes in just pray please. To be honest guys i really don't have the money for a vet or the equipment she needs please ill do anything can you guys help me start a fund raiser for i dont wanna lose her i just cant please

You could try a GoFundMe page, but your tortoise really does not have time. You really, really, really need to get your tortoise to a vet ASAP. Talk to the vet about a payment plan if you cannot afford it right now.

prayforrusty

5 Year Member
Pokeymeg said:
prayforrusty said:
Madkins007 said:

You could try a GoFundMe page, but your tortoise really does not have time. You really, really, really need to get your tortoise to a vet ASAP. Talk to the vet about a payment plan if you cannot afford it right now.

I know its the lighting because whenever i put her in the sun she opens her eyes and its not that she doesn't want to eat its just that she cant cause she cant see it so yeah

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Where are you that it's so dark? Can you give Rusty a little free sunshine? Maybe soak her, supervised, in the sun for 15 minutes? Then feed her the best foods you have for her. She needs sun to digest her food ya know.

prayforrusty

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Where are you that it's so dark? Can you give Rusty a little free sunshine? Maybe soak her, supervised, in the sun for 15 minutes? Then feed her the best foods you have for her. She needs sun to digest her food ya know.

Im in a good area today just been a really bad day for her cause its been raining all day so she hasnt gotten any sunlight today

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i will keep your tortoise in my thoughts. as for funds the most expensive thing is the liquid calcium. and i would go to a pet store and buy a cuttle bone (1$) and shave some into the water instead. not the same but it can't hurt. Walmart sells 2 packs of baby food for under a dollar, I'd use one tub for each soak. gatorade is a cheaper option than pedialyte (not as good but better than nothing if you can't afford it) but i would use the lime one and dilute it. also, you must keep your temperatures up at 80°

Sent from my MB886 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.