Help me save my hatchlings....

Arlosmama

Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
Hi all, I live in Hawaii on a property where there are an adult pair of Sulcata tortoises ( Fran, 17 & Franklin, 20). On Christmas Eve I found 4 hatchlings! Never thought it could happen seeing I’ve been around them for 3 years, this was a first. I didn’t know much about caring for them.... and still don’t. I lost one few days ago. I keep them inside in the evenings and outdoors on nice days. I had read they get most of their water from eating grass.... but now I’m realizing eating isn’t easy for them. I fear I’m going to loose the rest as they are lethargic. Is there anything I can do to nurse them back to health? Is puréed grass ok? Please help me correct my ignorance.

VegasJeff

Las Vegas, NV
I'd keep them inside in a box or plastic tub and feed them green mix. That's what they do with the hatchlings at reptile shows here. Take them outside in the sun maybe 30 minutes max per day in the beginning to get some sun. Also, I would recommend giving them soaks in water for like 15 or 20 minutes. They will drink water when they are soaking. I noticed my hatchling does not like most kinds of grass. Yours may not be getting enough food and water and maybe too much sun. Perhaps some expert members can help chime in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is all the care info on them:

Read these and then come back with questions.

Outside all day is bad for babies, regardless of climate. They need a warm humid indoor closed chamber most of each day and all night. An hour of sun a few times a week is good.

Soak them in warm water every day for 30-40 minutes.

Mature grass is too tough for babies. Freshly sprouted softTake in all this info and then come back with all your questions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need to bring those babies indoors right away and set them up in a warm, humid environment. They won't eat unless they can warm their inner core up to at least 80F degrees. Please read the threads that Tom above has shown for you. It's quite different caring for baby tortoises than what you see happening to the adult pair outside.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Tom and Yvonnes post. Asap make the changes for any hope of saving them.
Be sure to read all the info listed and keep it handy for next time. I'm sure you will be finding more babies wondering around soon if you aren't keeping tabs on the female nesting habits.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Btw, tortoises really should not be kept in pairs. One female to one male, is a recipe for the female to be harrassed to illness or death. He will try breeding her too much and stress her to illness. If they are in a very large, very large, space with lots of sight barriers, feeding and watering spots and several hides they might have a chance. They need water to drink not just grass.
Sounds like you read some wrong info in the past. Stay with this forum and read read read for all the correct info.
Good luck