HELP! MY YELLOW FOOT GOT MBD

Lifeoftorto

Location (City and/or State)
INA
I think my tort is having a mild mbd and I have confirmed it by asking a professional.. his plastron is very soft.. but he is eating normal.. he doesnt want to eat the calcium powder i gave. what should I do?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Then you're putting too much on the food. Just use a small pinch between your thumb and index finger, then mix it all in so it can't be seen. But, remember - all the calcium in the world doesn't work if he doesn't also have access to the vitamin D3 from the sun (or a GOOD UVB light).

Lifeoftorto

INA
Then you're putting too much on the food. Just use a small pinch between your thumb and index finger, then mix it all in so it can't be seen. But, remember - all the calcium in the world doesn't work if he doesn't also have access to the vitamin D3 from the sun (or a GOOD UVB light).

I provide him a uvb light and soak him under the sun every morning.. i gave him calcium + d3 powder.. i usually hide them under the veggie

Lifeoftorto

INA

I usually provide him around 30 mins of sun and around 8 hours of uvb light.. should i increase it?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
It would be really good to see your enclosure, what type of light are you using? Brand/strength. And is there any way to get longer time outside in the sun? How old is your tort?

Lifeoftorto

INA
It would be really good to see your enclosure, what type of light are you using? Brand/strength. And is there any way to get longer time outside in the sun? How old is your tort?

I put him in a plastic container. I removed the substrate because he loves to burry himself and some of the substrate got stuck in his eyes which caused an eye problem. I used coco bark before.. im using exo terra uva and uvb light...

IMG_2015.jpg

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Ok well he must have a substrate, he can’t live just on the plastic. What happened to his eyes? Coco coir can be messy, have you tried orchid bark?
Can you show a picture of your light? I ask because some lights can cause eye issues.
Hopefully someone else will be along to give you some more advice on the MBD
@Yvonne

Lifeoftorto

INA
You need to mash the powder into the wet greens so it isn't visible. Hiding it under the greens isn't working.

I just hid it on the greens and hand feed him so Im 100% sure he ate that.. i probably should give him more often..

Lifeoftorto

INA
Ok well he must have a substrate, he can’t live just on the plastic. What happened to his eyes? Coco coir can be messy, have you tried orchid bark?
Can you show a picture of your light? I ask because some lights can cause eye issues.
Hopefully someone else will be along to give you some more advice on the MBD
@Yvonne

I just removed the substrate 2 days ago... i will try the orchid bark then. Im not at home yet.. will take a photo of it real soon :) thanks

daniellenc

Maryland
With all the UVB and sun why do you think it’s MBD? Is your bulb old? Even with 30 minutes a day in the sun that shouldn’t be the case. What’s your diet?

Lifeoftorto

INA
With all the UVB and sun why do you think it’s MBD? Is your bulb old? Even with 30 minutes a day in the sun that shouldn’t be the case. What’s your diet?

His plastron is way too soft.. he eats veggie. He doesn’t like pellet :( i just purchased the bulb last month

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He looks very small to already be developing mbd too?

daniellenc

Maryland
He looks very small to already be developing mbd too?
Yeah looks like a hatchling and they are soft. I’d just provide adequate light, heat, and food. Not sure what he’s eating looks like cucumber though which isn’t nutrient rich at all.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What a lovely little guy you have!

He will need the correct conditions of temperature, humidity level, substrate and the right diet. You can find all that information on the care sheets here for his species and some help from our experts (not me!!!) When you have the right setup, and provide him with a cozy place to hide and clean water, he should do just great!

Lifeoftorto

INA
Yeah looks like a hatchling and they are soft. I’d just provide adequate light, heat, and food. Not sure what he’s eating looks like cucumber though which isn’t nutrient rich at all.

He eats kale, water spinach, romaine lettuce, box choy sometimes pumpkin, tomato, aloe, and cucumber as “cheating” day.. i know its not that healthy but he loves it..

Lifeoftorto

INA
He eats kale, water spinach, romaine lettuce, box choy sometimes pumpkin, tomato, aloe, and cucumber as “cheating” day.. i know its not that healthy but he loves it..

I mean i sometimes give him cucumber just because he loves it.. not every day.. he eats mixture of veggies and little bit of pellet every day. Oh ya he also loves carrots