help needed from philippines (stones?)

Tortoise Princess

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manila, Philippines
hello there.yesterday i went to have my sulcata xrayed as i saw him passed a large solid urate.good thing its not too hard and you can crush it easily.anyway no stones in the xray but got a mighty shock when we saw a safety pin.surgery is uncommon here in philippines. image.jpeg what other less invasive methods can i try?right now,my sulcata is doing fine.appetite is a big as ever,poops and pees normal.pls any suggestions or help are welcome

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
it's hard for me to tell from the picture but is the safety pin open or closed?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't see it either and dmmj asked the question I was going to ask. If it's closed, I would leave it alone and go about your normal routine with him. If it's open, then I would suggest surgery ASAP.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
then in that case I would go for the surgery there is far too much risk of perforation of the intestines which will cause infection and eventual death.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like its closed to me. The head is bent a little, but it's closed. It will pass on its own. Be sure to feed the tortoise slippery food like aloe, okra, etc. and lots and lots of water.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
It looks like its closed to me. The head is bent a little, but it's closed. It will pass on its own. Be sure to feed the tortoise slippery food like aloe, okra, etc. and lots and lots of water.
Agree with Yvonne. Try to keep her gut lubricated and pray that it passes

Tortoise Princess

5 Year Member
Manila, Philippines
Hi folks, apologies for the late reply. Got x-ray last Sunday and the pin is no longer found!...must have been pooped already though my tortoise keeper wasn't able to find it. I would just have to trust that my tort pooped somewhere and/or my keeper did not inspect his pooped clearly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Small gauge wire like that's made out of disintegrates rather quickly in the gastric acids. One of my Aldabran tortoises had a piece of wire inside him on X-ray and the vet wasn't worried about it for the above reason.