Help needed (not eating)

Egbertthesulcuta

Location (City and/or State)
Clacton
498451BD-5775-4D3B-8C71-4F7C0B742F9C.jpeg
Our little Egbert has really slowed down with the cold weather in England I have heat mats heat lamps and his uvb light on for him but I’m so worried about him he’s not eating I am however soaking him still could this be him trying to hibernate I know these tortoises don’t any advice would be much appreciated worried sulcuta mummy xx

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hopefully @Tom or @Yvonne G can help. what are your temperatures, lighting, and enclosure set up, including substrate? This will help them..help you and Egbert. Welcome to the forum. Cute tortoise.

Egbertthesulcuta

Clacton
Hopefully @Tom or @Yvonne G can help. what are your temperatures, lighting, and enclosure set up, including substrate? This will help them..help you and Egbert. Welcome to the forum. Cute tortoise.
He’s currently on a tortise table but the temperatures are dropping to -1 and feels like -9 in the night I use a soil substrate that I buy from the pet shop which he seems to like more then others and has an enclosed wooden house with straw but I always find him in his fluffy slipper I’m finding it hard to keep the temperatures consistent at the moment he is kept inside the house but I find myself worrying so much thank you so much for commenting I’m thinking a vivarium is what he should be in but he claws the glass when we did have one to get out

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He’s currently on a tortise table but the temperatures are dropping to -1 and feels like -9 in the night I use a soil substrate that I buy from the pet shop which he seems to like more then others and has an enclosed wooden house with straw but I always find him in his fluffy slipper I’m finding it hard to keep the temperatures consistent at the moment he is kept inside the house but I find myself worrying so much thank you so much for commenting I’m thinking a vivarium is what he should be in but he claws the glass when we did have one to get out
This species does not hibernate. They need warm temps year round, 24/7. There is no way to maintain the correct temps and humidity in an open topped enclosure, as you are seeing.

Soil should never be used for tortoises and the stuff sold by the pet shops over there is dangerous. Straw should never be used for them either. Adults can, and should, eat grass hay, but never straw, and neither straw no hay has any place in a baby enclosure.

This thread will catch you up to speed, and there is a care sheet at the bottom that will explain what you need to do if you want this baby to live.

Reactions: Ink

Egbertthesulcuta

Clacton
This species does not hibernate. They need warm temps year round, 24/7. There is no way to maintain the correct temps and humidity in an open topped enclosure, as you are seeing.

Soil should never be used for tortoises and the stuff sold by the pet shops over there is dangerous. Straw should never be used for them either. Adults can, and should, eat grass hay, but never straw, and neither straw no hay has any place in a baby enclosure.

This thread will catch you up to speed, and there is a care sheet at the bottom that will explain what you need to do if you want this baby to live.
Thank you so much

LJL1982

UK
I'm confused why is it that cold? I get driven mad by heat at night so my heating is at 20c with mats to keep up heat for my torts to 22 or 23c.

What are the temperatures in his enclosure on cool end and under basking light, including at night?

Sulcatas can't hibernate, you need to keep him heated year round.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises won't eat if they can't get their core temperature up to at least 27C, and warmer is even better. You need to figure out a way to cover that table with the lights and heat inside the cover to maintain it warmer for him.

LJL1982

UK
Are you keeping him outdoors or are you not putting on central heating?