Getting winter ready

Carla485

Location (City and/or State)
Horley
So, I’ve had my Hermann’s tortoise for a couple of months now (he is 14) and it has been super hot here in the UK, he goes in my garden and free roams during the day and at nighttime he goes in his tortoise table in my shed. I want to start getting prepared for winter, I can’t have him in the house only the shed however at night time it’s started to get colder and he’s sheltered from the weather in a way in the shed but it can still get cold, not so much a problem at the moment but I reckon in about a months time it will be too cold. I have the necessary heat and uvb lamps but I am just really worried about having them on in my shed as it is wood and I have seen too many stories about the heat lamp dropping and causing a fire! In his previous home he would normally hibernate November- April so my worry is the months leading up to November will get to cold. I know heat mats aren’t recommended but if I attached a couple to the top of his enclosure would this help warm things up? Just looking for some ideas on what to do with him really to keep him warm as I keep having visions of me putting the lamps up, waking up to find everything is burnt down😕and also in the day time if it’s chilly and raining I wouldn’t want to put him out! Thanks

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
If your guy used to hibernate then you should start prepping things for what you need. The problem is our changing temps….major warm ups during “Winter” nothing constant - which is what a brumating tortoise needs.

Many folks in the UK prep cold boxes for brumation. @JoesMum might pipe in with her routine with Joe.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Please search on here for brumation info and also read this care sheet to ensure correct set up and care.

Just searched..... read thread 5 and 9 for more info

Last edited: