Hybernation

Aaron1997

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a 5 year old horsfield tortoise and was wondering if I can go without hibernating him, I don’t really want to hibernate him as I’m worried something might go wrong. Does anybody think I can keep him through his life without hibernation as long as I keep him warm through the winter months will he be okay? He’s very healthy.

Aaron1997

United Kingdom
Hi, I have a 5 year old horsfield tortoise and was wondering if I can go without hibernating him, I don’t really want to hibernate him as I’m worried something might go wrong. Does anybody think I can keep him through his life without hibernation as long as I keep him warm through the winter months will he be okay? He’s very healthy.
Is there any professional tortoise keepers out there that can give me a good honest solid answer? Much appreciated.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm not a professional, but I can tell you that your tort will be fine without hibernation.

He'll need to be kept warm, and you may need to keep bright lights on him for a 14 hour photoperiod, but he will be fine.

Aaron1997

United Kingdom
I'm not a professional, but I can tell you that your tort will be fine without hibernation.

He'll need to be kept warm, and you may need to keep bright lights on him for a 14 hour photoperiod, but he will be fine.
Thankyou very much