Going into hibernation early

Torty1975

Location (City and/or State)
Lincolnshire
My horsfield hasn’t eaten for weeks now and has started to hibernate in the bedroom area of his indoor enclosure. He goes out into a big outdoor enclosure in the summer but wouldn’t come out for food or a drink for a couple of weeks so I bathed him and bought him in: he’s had a couple of baths since but just goes straight into the bedroom and burrows straight after. I’m worried he’s hibernating too early so I don’t want to move him to the shed yet in his hibernation box. He usually eats until about now and then starts to slow down just seems very early as I don’t normally put him away til end of October - advice please if he’ll be ok through til feb not eating as that’s normally when he’s ready to come out

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My horsfield hasn’t eaten for weeks now and has started to hibernate in the bedroom area of his indoor enclosure. He goes out into a big outdoor enclosure in the summer but wouldn’t come out for food or a drink for a couple of weeks so I bathed him and bought him in: he’s had a couple of baths since but just goes straight into the bedroom and burrows straight after. I’m worried he’s hibernating too early so I don’t want to move him to the shed yet in his hibernation box. He usually eats until about now and then starts to slow down just seems very early as I don’t normally put him away til end of October - advice please if he’ll be ok through til feb not eating as that’s normally when he’s ready to come out
That is not hibernation. That is a tortoise seeking a dark place to rest for some reason.

Review all of this and see if you can spot the problem. In most cases, people don't have the correct temps or lighting. Often the enclosure is too small, too dry, too dark, and not lit properly with the correct bulbs.

If you share some more information about your housing, we can try to help you out.

Questions are welcome.

Torty1975

Lincolnshire
Thank you It looks like I have lighting and heating right , he has a 6ft x 5ft enclosure inside and a 10ft x 10ft outdoors. The only thing I think I don’t do maybe is bathe him for long enough as he starts trying to get out after about 10mins and also I didn’t know about humid hide boxes. I’m trying my hardest I’ve only had him 5 years since my dad died so I really am trying my hardest to keep him happy as he’s what I have left connecting me to my dad

LJL1982

UK
Thank you It looks like I have lighting and heating right , he has a 6ft x 5ft enclosure inside and a 10ft x 10ft outdoors. The only thing I think I don’t do maybe is bathe him for long enough as he starts trying to get out after about 10mins and also I didn’t know about humid hide boxes. I’m trying my hardest I’ve only had him 5 years since my dad died so I really am trying my hardest to keep him happy as he’s what I have left connecting me to my dad
Tortoises ideally need a good twenty mins however if the water starts to cool they will want yo get out so make sure you keep topping up with warm water (obviously take some out so the water depth doesn't deepen)

It is OK for them to keep walking in the water when they look like they are trying to get out, it won't harm them and is not bad exercise!

I'm sure you are doing your dad proud, nothing better than learning from forums and asking about tortoise care x

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you post pics of where you are keeping him and the lamps you use you'll get great advice on how to make any changes you need. Do you have a UVB source when he's not outside?
A humid hide can just be something like an upturned washing-up bowl with a door cut into it. What substrate are you using?
With our temps lately I'd be surprised if he's hibernating.