How do I delay hibernation mode

S4R4H

Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire
Hi. I have a 7 year old Horsefield tortoise and he’s fit and healthy. The last 4 years he’s hibernated for 5-7 weeks. Each year it’s very early August that he starts to slow and stops eating. Can I do anything to delay his natural process? He’ll go 6 weeks with no food before he goes in the fridge. I’d rather he slept through jan & Feb rather than Nov & Dec so he can enjoy more of summer. He’s spends sunny days outside and had a table inside with UV&Heat lamp.
I obviously don’t want to upset him but he could still be enjoying summer now rather than winding down.
Is it best to leave him or try and persuade him to hold off?
many advise would be much appreciated. Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't hibernate mine. I just keep heat and lights on all winter. He does go thru a short period where he eats less and sleeps more, but I'm not sure he would do that if he were outside at that time.
So just keep him warm and lights on when he is inside on those days he can't go out. It may or may not help but should.

S4R4H

Yorkshire
I don't hibernate mine. I just keep heat and lights on all winter. He does go thru a short period where he eats less and sleeps more, but I'm not sure he would do that if he were outside at that time.
So just keep him warm and lights on when he is inside on those days he can't go out. It may or may not help but should.
Thank you. Hibernation definitely works for him so I will continue doing it. I have his lamp on but he just moves away from it so I get earache about the waste of electricity ?
Thanks for your response.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Making the enclosure bright, enough lighting, like a bright sunny day helps.
When mine, who usually comes out when I have food, just wants to keep sleeping in his hide, I will get him out and put him at his food. He usually will eat then.