Help! (Neighbor sprayed 24D)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
At first I was kinda scared because he was still under his basking light in the same position he was at 3 and then it was about 6:30. But I took the Mazuri, surprised he wasn't in bed...and...and...he ate it all. I was so relieved. That doesn't mean we're over some hump but...that Wikipedia description says it has a 6 day shelf life in the ground and on the leaves. So my sister says Bob has to stay in his shed for SIX DAYS, OMGosh. Do you know the fuss he'll raise??? When he rams his shed walls, I can hear him in the house. The ramming the walls and door screams, "I WANT OUT!" Poor Bob, at this point better inside then sick or dead....Darn. And I should run the heck outa my sprinklers all day to help get rid of it. This afternoon I realized I put all of my box turtles in their pen next to the fence too. So I have about 9 animals exposed continually for 5 days. Well, I am following my sisters advice. No outside food for any of them. Jeez, does that mean worms and slugs too?
I wrote this last night but forgot to hit post. I'm surprised it was still waiting for me. I do appreciate all the support comments from all of you, thanks so much. It helps.
OMG...:(
This is an animal lover's NIGHTMARE. I am SO SORRY that you and your critters are going through all this. :(

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
According to the description near the beginning of the post I wouldn't put my tortoises out there for two weeks. I know Bob may ram through his shed by then though, but it doesn't sound like it will be safe for two weeks at least. Definitely do the water and soap idea. And I would not feed the slugs or bugs to the box turtles either. I'm just saying what I would do if it was me. I'm sorry this happened, I wish I was closer and I could help out.

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope Bob is ok hunkering down in his shed for a bit. Keep us posted.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Wow, that was a real jerk think to do so close to other peoples houses! Can you post a sign facing his land that let's him know you have grass eating animals and not to spray close. You should def call someone and raise a fuss!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Oh my gosh - I would lose my mind. I wonder if you could make some foraging toys (out of food) for him while he is in jail? Maybe hang so stuff so he has to work at it? Keep him busy?? Please keep us updated. :<3::tort:

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I hope everything turns out okay and none of your torts are effected by the spray.

Some people are so thoughtless and irresponsible. I rememer years ago the neighbor that used to live next door was spraying his plants with something and it was blowing over into our yard like mad. I did not have any tortoises at that time, but it still made me mad. If that happened now I would probably go over there screaming like an insane person at him. No one should spray something that is going to go over into a neighbor's yard without checking first with the neighbor.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
So relieved to hear he is eating. That is such great news. This situation does encourage me to socialize and communicate more effectively with my neighbors. It is easier to discuss concerns when previous dialog has been friendly. None of us want a sick tortoise when it could have been prevented. Neighbors don't intend to harm them.

It was scary reading about your concerns. So glad he has improved!

M

Maggie Cummings

I think 6 days refers to the 'half life' in the soil, not the 'shelf life'. So left on its own,the activity will decrease by half in 6 days. I suggest you use water and lots of it. A biodegradable soap solution will bind with the carrier and make a more effective decontamination especially on structures, rocks, etc.
Best of luck
we both meant the same thing, I just said it wrong. I didn't think about the soap, my sprinklers have been going most of the day. But yet I also don't want to 'over water' some plants that are not affected by the spray and kill them that way. Fortunately it will rain tomorrow and Friday, that will help. It's stressing me out to have to make him stay in his shed. He rammed the door for hours today, I went and cut a bunch of dandelions and clover on another street and that quieted him down, but I am such a sucker for him. The most spoiled tortoise ever:)...tomorrow his $500 Vet visit for his stones...I only have another woman helping me, and a Subaru, (how can you tell someone is from Oregon? They drive a Subaru.) I wouldn't be caught dead driving one....but she is good enough to help me get him to the Vet. I certainly wouldn't put him in my Camaro, maybe in an emergency. I just can't imagine the mess....and he'd try to come in the front seat...hahaha, no way Jose

M

Maggie Cummings

So relieved to hear he is eating. That is such great news. This situation does encourage me to socialize and communicate more effectively with my neighbors. It is easier to discuss concerns when previous dialog has been friendly. None of us want a sick tortoise when it could have been prevented. Neighbors don't intend to harm them.

It was scary reading about your concerns. So glad he has improved!
Thanks!