Help! (Neighbor sprayed 24D)

M

Maggie Cummings

The grass farmer right behind my house sprayed something called 24D...My roses are dying and other plants. The big blackberry bramble between me and the field are all dying, and I put 2 tortoises right along that fence, and they were out the day he sprayed evidently and everyday since.What is 24D? Gonna kill Bob and my 2 against the fence????
I have to leave for an appointment, I am hoping some knowledgeable member will tell me do I need to worry about my tortoises? I won't be back until about 3 PM...and Bob goes to the Vet Thurs. for the stones.....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Wow, Maggie. I can't believe he would be so negligent as to allow drift onto other people's property. Contact someone in your county government right away. This is not right and he should be held accountable

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow Maggie, I sure hope everyone ends up okay. I so agree with Yvonne. I would go after this guy big time. (I have other words I want to use for him, but not allowed)
Please keep us informed on how everyone is doing.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What a worry for you Maggie, and what an inconsiderate, irresponsible farmer! I agree with Yvonne he should be reported I expect there are rules about spraying anything near other properties, I do hope all will be well for your torts.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I would very nicely talk to the neighbor and tell him what happened(show pics of the plants as proof) and ask him very nicely to give you a call(give him your name and number) as advanced warning when EVER he needs to spray. Show pics of the torts as well. He probably hired someone to do it and didn't realize this would happen.

Making enemies out of your neighbors ALWAYS ends badly.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Please let us know how your tortoises are.
This sounds like scary business.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I would definitely bathe them real well with soap and water. and wash everything in their area if you can't relocate them temporarily.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Hello. So sorry for this herbacide got on your property. I so sorry to say this but I did this for a living in the woods, I 1 time sprayed and the wind picked up and blew into a Vinyard next door. They sued me and I had to pay for new plants and the money they lost in production and future production till new caught up with old growth. Let's just say this cost me a small fortune to fix and go away. I retired from working in the woods. Lol. So the end of the story is take pics and show the damage they have to replace

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Maggie, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I would be irate. But first I would put the small tortoises inside. I don't know what to tell you to do with Bob. It sounds like no vegetation will be safe for a minimum of two weeks so don't let him eat anything out there.
I would very definitely talk to that former. Take pictures of your dying shrubs etc. if he seems a decent about it then be nice but firm. If he is a jerk then other actions may be needed. What about your neighbors yards? And what about the animals they have? The stuff can't be great for dogs or cats either I would assume. Please keep us updated. I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best with your animals.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I hope the torts turn out okay, definitely that farmer needs to be dealt with pronto.

M

Maggie Cummings

Thanks every one. Bob did not leave his shed today, he didn't eat breakfast or a later treat. I have another tortoise soaking now because he's sick, I don't know what to think or do at this minute. I'm going to take Bob some Mazuri, normally he can't resist it. I don't know what else to do...it's so frustrating. I'm gonna call the Vet and see if I can get her at home...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please let us know if Bob ate. I am sick for you and your animals. I sure hope things will be okay. Take pics and keep records of what's going on and when all is well go after him to repay for damages. Idiots like this probably won't understand a talking, everyone understands a hit in the pocket book.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
This is awful. I am so sorry. I don't even know what I would do in your shoes. Sure hope all of your animals will be ok.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Does your neighbor know you have tortoises!?!?! What a jerk! I hope everyone is safe! Maybe store bought greens until your yard is clean again!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

At first I was kinda scared because he was still under his basking light in the same position he was at 3 and then it was about 6:30. But I took the Mazuri, surprised he wasn't in bed...and...and...he ate it all. I was so relieved. That doesn't mean we're over some hump but...that Wikipedia description says it has a 6 day shelf life in the ground and on the leaves. So my sister says Bob has to stay in his shed for SIX DAYS, OMGosh. Do you know the fuss he'll raise??? When he rams his shed walls, I can hear him in the house. The ramming the walls and door screams, "I WANT OUT!" Poor Bob, at this point better inside then sick or dead....Darn. And I should run the heck outa my sprinklers all day to help get rid of it. This afternoon I realized I put all of my box turtles in their pen next to the fence too. So I have about 9 animals exposed continually for 5 days. Well, I am following my sisters advice. No outside food for any of them. Jeez, does that mean worms and slugs too?
I wrote this last night but forgot to hit post. I'm surprised it was still waiting for me. I do appreciate all the support comments from all of you, thanks so much. It helps.

Last edited by a moderator: