HELP NEW KIWI OWNER OF A BOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnc52

5 Year Member
Hi
My name Is Jon and I live in NZ. I have tracked down a pair of box turtles that have cost me $6000 (they are super rare down here and we cant import any reptiles due to restrictions) there are only a handful of adults floating around. I have kept snake neck turtles, water dragons and reeves turtles so i have some experience.
I have a few questions when i get them we are just coming into winter in NZ and I am wanting to hibernate them (they have been for 5 out of the last 6 years) I have been told by the owner that Christchurch conditions are perfect to keep them outside so i wont need to keep them in the fridge. However I am a little nervous as this is my first time doing this. is there a link or a web page with some instructions?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I always recommend to never hibernate new animals, it is just something I follow, sorry I can't help you with your request I just wanted to welcome you and ask what type of boxes are they that cost 6,000.? Are we talking US dollars? or NZ dollars?

jnc52

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I always recommend to never hibernate new animals, it is just something I follow, sorry I can't help you with your request I just wanted to welcome you and ask what type of boxes are they that cost 6,000.? Are we talking US dollars? or NZ dollars?

American Box. sadly in NZ we have a very small reptile community, this is due to the banned importation. We have some exotics here that are kept under lock and key and you have to know people to get your hands on them, and even then they cost a pretty penny.
I know a breeder that purchased a pair of Leopard Geckos at $30,000 NZD and green iguanas where being sold at $5000

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jon:

Welcome to the forum!!

Its always a good idea to keep a new turtle/tortoise up the first winter. You need to be sure its healthy and has a good fat store before you allow it to hibernate.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
now that is an irony, some one paid that much for box turtles who at home are often disregarded and abused. though to bad you're in NZ as they are already lost to their species (from a genetic stand point). which species are they by the way?

jnc52

5 Year Member
Saloli said:
now that is an irony, some one paid that much for box turtles who at home are often disregarded and abused. though to bad you're in NZ as they are already lost to their species (from a genetic stand point). which species are they by the way?

American Box 3 Toed Turtles, Texas.
I have renovated a fridge, i have them in there now and its around 10 degrees Celsius, when they burrow down ill turn it on so it cools down to around 7. There is no light in the fridge but this shouldn't be a problem because arnt they cued on temps more than light cycles. I have a box 50cm deep with a mix of top soil, sand and peat.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I think it was Onarock that posted a thread about mailing eggs. That might be a good way to get reptiles there. I don't understand the reptile ban.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I think it was Onarock that posted a thread about mailing eggs. That might be a good way to get reptiles there. I don't understand the reptile ban.

jnc52

5 Year Member
Angi said:

we have really strict import laws and we would get into big trouble mailing eggs, would be the same as smuggling

Tempest

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, OH
Those prices are unreal. Wow.

I also don't think it's a good idea to hibernate them if you just got them. It's always a risky business, even more so if you're not familiar with the particular animal.

jnc52

5 Year Member
I know have the pair, they are in fantastic conditions and their shells are perfect :) They are now hibernating in a revamped fridge so will wake them up in another 7 weeks and hope for some babies :) they are 6 years old so should see a small batch of eggs.
The temp in the fridge is around 3.4 degrees C or 38 F so a little on the cool side, cant boost the temps up any more as the fridge is a tad old (i have separate digital temp gage)

Status
Not open for further replies.