Help - new leopard tortoise

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palmbay FL
What type of pelleted food? There are many.

No hay at all for babies housed indoors. Hay can be used for bedding for adults in an outdoor night box if you want, as long as you keep it off of any heat mats, if you are using those. Most regular leopards will not eat plain dry hay.

Here is an example of the outdoor night box:
Your new tortoise is large enough to live outside full time with one of these for night heat, rain shelter, and protection from nocturnal predators.
I am in FL. I am going to let her during the day.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL

No hay at all for babies housed indoors. Hay can be used for bedding for adults in an outdoor night box if you want, as long as you keep it off of any heat mats, if you are using those. Most regular leopards will not eat plain dry hay.

Your new tortoise is large enough to live outside full time with one of these for night heat, rain shelter, and protection from nocturnal predators.
That is the plan but I'm worried about the humidity I live in Florida so I was going to bring her in at night and we were out during the day

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
I am in FL. I am going to let her during the day.
I also have another p p a baby and that is what the breeder had suggested because of lung infections.

Oh your night box is very nice so you suggest the bottom heater and not like the greenhouse tube heaters

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry my typing. Mazuri
HA! Spell check got you! That happens to me all the time. I have guardian angels here that help me fix all the little spelling errors...

I like to offer some soaked Mazuri twice a week. More often doesn't hurt, but you don't "need" it at all. I find it to be a good supplemental food. It gives them balanced nutrition and can help make up for any minor deficiencies in the diet. Its also nice to have it on hand in case of any shortage food shortages. It would be my luck to go the fridge on Christmas morning and find my tortoise food all moldy when all the stores are closed. MAZURI TO THE RESCUE!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is the plan but I'm worried about the humidity I live in Florida so I was going to bring her in at night and we were out during the day
Out during the day and in at night can work too. Either method works. Your choice.

I like the heat mat/RHP style of heating for smaller boxes, and I like radiant oil filled heaters for bigger boxes, like this: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/

I'm not familiar with green house tube heaters. I'll have to look that one up.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
HA! Spell check got you! That happens to me all the time. I have guardian angels here that help me fix all the little spelling errors...

I like to offer some soaked Mazuri twice a week. More often doesn't hurt, but you don't "need" it at all. I find it to be a good supplemental food. It gives them balanced nutrition and can help make up for any minor deficiencies in the diet. Its also nice to have it on hand in case of any shortage food shortages. It would be my luck to go the fridge on Christmas morning and find my tortoise food all moldy when all the stores are closed. MAZURI TO THE RESCUE!!!
I hate grocery shopping so I understand but I do have guinea pigs so I'm pretty good about buying them stuff

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
I hear you. I think I’m still in that stage too, lol. We’ve only had her a little over three weeks.
It's funny I spent a ton of time breathing and doing my homework I thought and now I have her and it's like okay now what