Help please (eye problems)

Katieg

I would be grateful for any advice. Our tortoise is approx 22 months old. We have been keeping him for over 12 months in a tortoise table with both heat and uva/uvb lamps. Last Saturday we took him to the vets as he could not open both eyes. This has been treated as conjunctivitis by drops. My concern is he is not eating. Is this because he has been unwell? I am getting worried about this now. When should I take him back to the vets? Thanks for helping

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
I think we need to establish the cause of the problem, or it will not get better, or will happen again.
Do you have coiled bulbs ? These can cause blindness in baby tortoises.
What is the species of tortoise ?
What is the humidity ? if you have an open table it may not be humid enough for him.
Can you tell us what you feed him and send a photo of his enclosure if possible.
Good luck

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Sorry, in my concern for your tortoise, I forgot to say,'Hello and welcome to Tortoise Forum'.
There are people here who may be able to help given the correct information.
Welcome.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
More information will help us give better advice. Baby food soaks might help if he's not eating. Is he opening his eyes now and just not eating?

Katieg

I think we need to establish the cause of the problem, or it will not get better, or will happen again.
Do you have coiled bulbs ? These can cause blindness in baby tortoises.
What is the species of tortoise ?
What is the humidity ? if you have an open table it may not be humid enough for him.
Can you tell us what you feed him and send a photo of his enclosure if possible.
Good luck
Thanks for your reply. George(our tortoise) had kritter crumble for his substrate. However the vet told us not to use this due to the dust which may have created to eye problem. Whilst drops were being used we should use newspaper. Yes we do have a coil uva/uvb lamp. He is horsefield tortoise and has been perfectly healthy for the year we have had him. We were feeing him lettuce, grapes, cabbage etc however the vet told us to only feed him weeds or veg leaves. His eyes have improved massively over the past 4 days but I am concerned he is not eating. We are bathing him twice a day in boiled cooled water then putting his drops in. I hope he will be drinking so not to be dehydrated. How long can they go without food?
Thanks again for the reply

Katieg

More information will help us give better advice. Baby food soaks might help if he's not eating. Is he opening his eyes now and just not eating?
Yes that is correct.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Big B

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL
Bad bulb shut off the coil bulb at once. There have been many eye problems with this bulb.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
:(Very sorry to have read that your tort is not eating. You'll certainly get help from experienced people here.

Wishes for your tort to get well soon, and....a warm welcome to the :tort:forum.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I have no idea what kritter crumble is, but I don't like the sound of it.
Newspaper is much too dry as a substrate and doesn't give enough traction so the tortoise may grow with damaged legs. I know this is a temporary measure, but I think you need to increase humidity; the enclosure is too dry and too small. You will need a substrate such as coco coir, cypress mulch, orchid bark, good quality pesticide free top soil, or even yard dirt, if you are absolutely sure it is safe.
As I said, get rid of the coil bulb and use a mercury bulb that has uvb and heat all in one, or even a strip uvb would be better.
He may have seemed healthy, but was probably slowly getting ill.
The vet was correct about the diet. Yours was all wrong. Check the care sheets here. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/ for lots of good info on how to keep your species of tortoise.
For food look at http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp for what is good and bad for a tortoise to eat.
You should be soaking the tortoise daily in water uo to just above where the plastron joins the carapace. A baby food soak is when you mix something like carrot baby food,or pumpkin baby food in with the water, so that when the tortoise drinks it will also get some nutrients.
They can go without food for quite a long time, but it is better to get something inside him by the above method. Try tempting him with dandelion or chicory. My tort ( a greek, cousin of your type) can't resist these. Even cucumber would be good, it's not very nutritious but would get some liquid inside him if you think he's not drinking.
Ask if you have any other questions.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Eye problems usually have a more primary issue. Bulbs are often the culprit. Baby food soaks are just baby food mixed. In with their bath

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Mercury vapor bulb, T8 tube fluorescent, or outside in real sun light . I would add some Eco earth and take out the paper . Get a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat for heat . For uvb I would by a zoomed t5 or t8 tube with fixture combination . The tortoise has the equivalent of welders flash burn in his eyes . Use the eye drops and soak him in carrot and water .(baby food strained carrots) Mix with warm water and soak him for twenty minutes a day .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise's eye problem is 100% being caused by the coil shaped bulb. Also, the enclosure isn't big enough.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome!

How large is your tortoise? You may be able to find a very cheap plastic tote for an enclosure that would be larger and more comfortable for your tortoise. Christmas tree bins can get pretty large and you can cut holes in the lid for the lighting, plus the lid will keep the humidity in. If you have anyone handy around the house, you could make a larger enclosure out of wood.

I would also recommend a better substrate as tortoises do like to burrow. Plain old dirt would be a lot better for the little guy, or you could get orchid bark, coco coir, etc. like Tidgy said above.

We have a lot of issues with coil bulbs on this forum. I would recommend a ceramic heat emitter for night time use - it emits all heat and no light. Tortoises need it dark to sleep just like we do - and a mercury vapor bulb for daytime. Here is a link to one:

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...nkEqoCimHrMvEd4y3_3ci7lUyNAv5PE0kShoCw0Lw_wcB

The mercury vapor emits light, heat, and uvb which is all necessary for the tortoise. Keep in mind the UVB emitted will weaken over time so you do have to replace UVB bulbs every 6-12 months.

You will want to monitor your temperatures as well to make sure your tortoise doesn't get too cold, which can lead to a respiratory infection. Digital hygrometers work well to monitor both humidity and temperature. I bought an Acu-Rite one at Home Depot for $10 and it's been going strong for about a year.

A lot of people get rid of those coil bulbs and see positive results in a few days. Good luck!!