Help please!!!! (leg problem)

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
I live in Louisiana. It’s been getting too cold out to take him outside. I’m afraid that he will get too cold out there. What would you suggest?

1. Are you saying you do not have/are not using a UV(B) reptile rated bulb and also not currently taking your tortoise outside for sunlight? How long has this been going on for?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Aheimert48 - What Minority2 is trying to determine is whether a lack of UVB/calcium has caused your tortoise's front legs to become too weak to support his weight.

Aheimert48

Louisiana
I really don't think the cactus had anything to do with the leg problem, unless tiny glochids (stickers) from the cactus are stuck in his feet. Can you post a picture of the type of cactus you fed the tortoise?

Try some water therapy. Place him in a bowl of deep water so his feet don't touch the bottom and allow him to "swim" around for a few minutes under your careful supervision. Pay attention to see if the front legs seem to be working properly.

Also, try to get a video of the way he walks to show us.

I just did the water therapy. He was good about using his front legs to not go under the water and stuff. I will try to attach a video to this of him walking. Idk if this is normal walking or not. And I’ll attach a pic of the cactus too. It won’t let me upload a video. It says that it’s too large. How can I get it to you?

5F116CA5-F69F-48D0-A9D6-8E4800813387.jpeg

Elisa

Springfield, MO
I have attached a photo of the box
5d774f46-2c3b-495f-9b14-aed10a83ace9-jpeg.257022

I noticed this light only provides UVA and heat, no UVB. Could that be part of the problem?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I just did the water therapy. He was good about using his front legs to not go under the water and stuff. I will try to attach a video to this of him walking. Idk if this is normal walking or not. And I’ll attach a pic of the cactus too. It won’t let me upload a video. It says that it’s too large. How can I get it to you?

Thats the “right” kind of cactus, no issues there.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I believe you have to upload the video to another site, like youtube, than share the link.

awioa

New Mexico
Some of the more serious internal issues are not so easily corrected no matter the amount of carrot soaks and or added supplements. The reason why I put questions in my post is because I hope and expect to get more information back, people would often ask for recommendations and detailed explanations before going further. I rarely if ever see anyone listen to one person's post and immediately leave, especially during this time (in Louisiana) of night.

It is indeed challenging to find an "experienced" exotics vet, one that doesn't give outdated advice and or offer invasive and unnecessary procedures. However, having any vet with sufficient knowledge of a tortoise's anatomy may still be a better choice than holding it off for some home procedures that may or may not help if at all considering that symptoms usually only surface during the very late stages of a health compilation.

@Aheimert48

1. What is the other light bulb you are using besides the ceramic heat emitter? Is this a light bulb that provides heat as well as UV(B)?
What is a carrot soak and why? I am assuming this is not just the regular plain water soaking.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What is a carrot soak and why? I am assuming this is not just the regular plain water soaking.
A carrot soak is adding puréed carrot baby food to the warm soaking water. It is usually for torts with eye problems. I and others suggest using it also for sick torts that are not eating. They can absorb some nutrients and hoping too it entices them to want too eat. Also piedialyte is another good thing to add to soaking water for sick non eating torts.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
5d774f46-2c3b-495f-9b14-aed10a83ace9-jpeg.257022

I noticed this light only provides UVA and heat, no UVB. Could that be part of the problem?
Don't know if this could be part of this problem but you do need a uvb light unless you can get him outside several times a week for natural sun/uvb

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I noticed you said soaks 2 times a week. Call me out if I am wrong but shouldn't the little tort be soaked everyday in warm water for at least 30 minutes?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
A carrot soak is adding puréed carrot baby food to the warm soaking water. It is usually for torts with eye problems. I and others suggest using it also for sick torts that are not eating. They can absorb some nutrients and hoping too it entices them to want too eat. Also piedialyte is another good thing to add to soaking water for sick non eating torts.
I read in a family circle magazine, in the early 80' s, that baby food carrots also help babies, toddlers, adults, etc with an intestinal virus. I tried it on my children cause it can't hurt ,right? Well...it worked.