Help please!!!! (leg problem)

Aheimert48

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
i gave my Sulcata some cactus that was prescribed on here. I gave it to him yesterday. And I just tried some aloe Vera. He would barely touch it. But now he’s walking around like he’s drunk. He uses his legs but when he puts his weight on either front leg, it’s like it gives out on him. I’m really worried. He’s a little one. Maybe 6 months or so old. Please help! I don’t know what to do and I’m very worried!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Could there be something stuck in it that's hurting him when he walks?
Try posting a video of him walking.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
i gave my Sulcata some cactus that was prescribed on here. I gave it to him yesterday. And I just tried some aloe Vera. He would barely touch it. But now he’s walking around like he’s drunk. He uses his legs but when he puts his weight on either front leg, it’s like it gives out on him. I’m really worried. He’s a little one. Maybe 6 months or so old. Please help! I don’t know what to do and I’m very worried!

1. What specific type of cactus was fed? Pictures would help greatly.

Am I correct to say that your tortoise is not using his hind legs? Does your tortoises still retract their hind legs if pulled?

These symptoms may likely be caused by incorrect long term temperature levels and or dietary choices. A problem such as this could be been going on for some time now, only to exhibit visual symptoms at late stages. There are a number of possibilities, many of which would require a visit to an experienced exotics vet. The sooner the better.

2. What specific foods are you feeding your tortoise?

3. How many soakings are you giving your tortoise per week?

4. What are the 4 temperature zones in the tortoise enclosure? Basking spot, warm side, cool side, and overnight low cool side?

Can we also get some picture(s) of your enclosure, lighting, and heating fixtures for reference?

Aheimert48

Louisiana

Am I correct to say that your tortoise is not using his hind legs? Does your tortoises still retract their hind legs if pulled?

These symptoms may likely be caused by incorrect long term temperature levels and or dietary choices. A problem such as this could be been going on for some time now, only to exhibit visual symptoms at late stages. There are a number of possibilities, many of which would require a visit to an experienced exotics vet. The sooner the better.

4. What are the 4 temperature zones in the tortoise enclosure? Basking spot, warm side, cool side, and overnight low cool side?

Can we also get some picture(s) of your enclosure, lighting, and heating fixtures for reference?

He is using his hind legs. We rotate through yellow squash, mustard greens, turnip greens, aloe Vera, pumpkin, broadleaf grass, eats grass from the backyard. I’ll send a picture of his habitat. The cactus was the spineless prickly pear cactus. I soak him about 2 times a week. And yeah he still moves his back legs. It seems like he catches his front foot on something and it trips him. I’m not sure. I thought that he was just sleepy and that the floor was slippery. But he was doing that in his habitat too.

51CE5E21-773F-49AE-A755-DE6DD2BB64FD.jpeg

Aheimert48

Louisiana
Could there be something stuck in it that's hurting him when he walks?
Try posting a video of him walking.
He is sleeping right now. When he wakes up. I’ll post a video of him walking around. I’m just real worried. I feel bad for the little guy.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Reread the post. Nothing about back legs not working. The OP is already nervous and your jumping to rushing to the vet with wrong info about the symptoms. I say this in the nicest way but you need to read more carefully and not send people in a bigger panic then needed and possibly jumping to a vet that could do more harm then good.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The water dish should be switched out for a clay saucer and buried into the substrate so it's level with the top of substrate.
Does the enclosure normally have a top on it, closed chamber? It should or humidity will never be right at tort level. Also be very careful using the clamps on those lights. They fail, lights fall and start fires. Besides the lights should be pointing straight down they also should be secured other then just the clamp.
None of this will help his walking most likely but needs to be improved.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
He is using his hind legs. We rotate through yellow squash, mustard greens, turnip greens, aloe Vera, pumpkin, broadleaf grass, eats grass from the backyard. I’ll send a picture of his habitat. The cactus was the spineless prickly pear cactus. I soak him about 2 times a week. And yeah he still moves his back legs. It seems like he catches his front foot on something and it trips him. I’m not sure. I thought that he was just sleepy and that the floor was slippery. But he was doing that in his habitat too.

My mistake. Somehow misread front leg with hind legs.

1. What bulbs are you using? Please be specific, include links, pictures, model number, or detailed descriptions if possible.

2. What is the typical portion size of squash and pumpkin do you usually feed? How often per week? Do you do this consecutively?

Reread the post. Nothing about back legs not working. The OP is already nervous and your jumping to rushing to the vet with wrong info about the symptoms. I say this in the nicest way but you need to read more carefully and not send people in a bigger panic then needed and possibly jumping to a vet that could do more harm then good.

The only advice I had given was to go see a vet which I still believe may apply to the original poster's issue. While some weak front leg symptoms can be caused by lack of calcium in the diet, injury, endotoxins disrupting the balance in their diets, and incorrect temperatures are all still possible relating factors. In my opinion, a vet visit should still be warranted. Re-checking the tortoise care of the original poster is also important as it can possibly prevent this from occurring again.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

1. What bulbs are you using? Please be specific, include links, pictures, model number, or detailed descriptions if possible.

2. What is the typical portion size of squash and pumpkin do you usually feed? How often per week? Do you do this consecutively?

The only advice I had given was to go see a vet which I still believe may apply to the original poster's issue. While some weak front leg symptoms can be caused by lack of calcium in the diet, injury, endotoxins disrupting the balance in their diets, and incorrect temperatures are all still possible relating factors. In my opinion, a vet visit should still be warranted. Re-checking the tortoise care of the original poster is also important as it can possibly prevent this from occurring again.
A vet visit may be needed down the road a bit. However, so little has really been told to us yet for the members to try and help correct the situation. Too many are made worse or killed by the inexperience vet when it comes to tortoises.

Aheimert48

Louisiana
The water dish should be switched out for a clay saucer and buried into the substrate so it's level with the top of substrate.
Does the enclosure normally have a top on it, closed chamber? It should or humidity will never be right at tort level. Also be very careful using the clamps on those lights. They fail, lights fall and start fires. Besides the lights should be pointing straight down they also should be secured other then just the clamp.
None of this will help his walking most likely but needs to be improved.

Thank you so much for your help. I’ll definitely look into the clay dish. If I may ask, why clay?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you so much for your help. I’ll definitely look into the clay dish. If I may ask, why clay?
The clay saucers that are used under planters are not very deep, has slanted sides. The straighter sides like your dish can cause little ones too flip. They can be ceramic too as long as they aren't too deep and have the slanted sides.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
A vet visit may be needed down the road a bit. However, so little has really been told to us yet for the members to try and help correct the situation. Too many are made worse or killed by the inexperience vet when it comes to tortoises.

Some of the more serious internal issues are not so easily corrected no matter the amount of carrot soaks and or added supplements. The reason why I put questions in my post is because I hope and expect to get more information back, people would often ask for recommendations and detailed explanations before going further. I rarely if ever see anyone listen to one person's post and immediately leave, especially during this time (in Louisiana) of night.

It is indeed challenging to find an "experienced" exotics vet, one that doesn't give outdated advice and or offer invasive and unnecessary procedures. However, having any vet with sufficient knowledge of a tortoise's anatomy may still be a better choice than holding it off for some home procedures that may or may not help if at all considering that symptoms usually only surface during the very late stages of a health compilation.

@Aheimert48

1. What is the other light bulb you are using besides the ceramic heat emitter? Is this a light bulb that provides heat as well as UV(B)?

Aheimert48

Louisiana
Some of the more serious internal issues are not so easily corrected no matter the amount of carrot soaks and or added supplements. The reason why I put questions in my post is because I hope and expect to get more information back, people would often ask for recommendations and detailed explanations before going further. I rarely if ever see anyone listen to one person's post and immediately leave, especially during this time (in Louisiana) of night.

It is indeed challenging to find an "experienced" exotics vet, one that doesn't give outdated advice and or offer invasive and unnecessary procedures. However, having any vet with sufficient knowledge of a tortoise's anatomy may still be a better choice than holding it off for some home procedures that may or may not help if at all considering that symptoms usually only surface during the very late stages of a health compilation.

@Aheimert48

1. What is the other light bulb you are using besides the ceramic heat emitter? Is this a light bulb that provides heat as well as UV(B)?

I have attached a photo of the box

Attachments

• 5D774F46-2C3B-495F-9B14-AED10A83ACE9.jpeg
    5D774F46-2C3B-495F-9B14-AED10A83ACE9.jpeg
    653.2 KB · Views: 91

Aheimert48

Louisiana

@Minority2
The heat lamp that I leave on all the time is a black coiled ceramic infrared and the light is a UVA and heat for thermoregulation. I haven’t given him pumpkin in a while. And the yellow squash is usually about a quarter size. If that. He doesn’t seem to want any of the leaves of greens or anything. He will eat other things. Is yellow squash not good for him? And why a clay water dish?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

@Aheimert48

Well I had a rescued tortoise that could not use its back legs too walk. A vet visit would have cost me hundreds if not thousands too find out probably nothing. A quick post on the forum and advice from Yvonne and the tort walks perfect and walks fast.
My concern for your original post is you had the wrong problem and then without waiting for any response you advised a vet.
Not trying to argue or offend you. Just be careful in reading post and advising a vet before more info is available. Vets are not always the answer either. Seen quite a few lost because of vet advice since I joined in 2011. Hopefully you won't but stick around long enough and you might too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The cactus and aloe you fed, was it planted in a pit and just purchased from a store? Potted plants should not be fed until all potting soil washed off, reported in plain pesticide and fertilizer free dirt and then only new growth fed. The spines should also be removed from the cactus at least for babies and I remove them even for adults.
Hopefully things will be normal tomorrow. Be sure to let us know how he's doing.
Also answer all questions asked. Only way we can help.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Well I had a rescued tortoise that could not use its back legs too walk. A vet visit would have cost me hundreds if not thousands too find out probably nothing. A quick post on the forum and advice from Yvonne and the tort walks perfect and walks fast.
My concern for your original post is you had the wrong problem and then without waiting for any response you advised a vet.
Not trying to argue or offend you. Just be careful in reading post and advising a vet before more info is available. Vets are not always the answer either. Seen quite a few lost because of vet advice since I joined in 2011. Hopefully you won't but stick around long enough and you might too.

I completely understand what you are trying to get across. A few changes in wording and an added section to create awareness for sub-par veterinarians would have made my original reply much more detailed. However, I still choose to stand by it because the wording of it doesn't show a sense of emergency but of awareness. The sooner the better. Not necessarily noting anything to be critical and or severe.

I don't always recommend seeing a vet. I treat every thread I reply to as an individual scenario and ultimately decide based on what information was given, what the possible causes are, and what would be the safest and most effective choice. I still believe a vet visit is warranted as I've explained earlier.

I've been lurking around in tortoise forum for many years. I've lost my fair of animals, including tortoises. My personal experience with veterinarians, as well as interactions with previous customer's and their tortoises have been mostly positive. This is largely because of the research, reviews, and interactions completed prior to deciding on which vet to go to in any city or state.

@Aheimert48

1. How are you providing UV(B) to your tortoise?

2. How often do you take your tortoise outside for natural sunlight per week?

Aheimert48

Louisiana

I didn’t seek vet advice. Not yet. What do you think is wrong with the little guy?

Aheimert48

Louisiana
I completely understand what you are trying to get across. A few changes in wording and an added section to create awareness for sub-par veterinarians would have made my original reply much more detailed. However, I still choose to stand by it because the wording of it doesn't show a sense of emergency but of awareness. The sooner the better. Not necessarily noting anything to be critical and or severe.

I don't always recommend seeing a vet. I treat every thread I reply to as an individual scenario and ultimately decide based on what information was given, what the possible causes are, and what would be the safest and most effective choice. I still believe a vet visit is warranted as I've explained earlier.

I've been lurking around in tortoise forum for many years. I've lost my fair of animals, including tortoises. My personal experience with veterinarians, as well as interactions with previous customer's and their tortoises have been mostly positive. This is largely because of the research, reviews, and interactions completed prior to deciding on which vet to go to in any city or state.

@Aheimert48

1. How are you providing UV(B) to your tortoise?

2. How often do you take your tortoise outside for natural sunlight per week?

I live in Louisiana. It’s been getting too cold out to take him outside. I’m afraid that he will get too cold out there. What would you suggest?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really don't think the cactus had anything to do with the leg problem, unless tiny glochids (stickers) from the cactus are stuck in his feet. Can you post a picture of the type of cactus you fed the tortoise?

Try some water therapy. Place him in a bowl of deep water so his feet don't touch the bottom and allow him to "swim" around for a few minutes under your careful supervision. Pay attention to see if the front legs seem to be working properly.

Also, try to get a video of the way he walks to show us.