Soft shell, not lifting body

Sambright

Location (City and/or State)
East Sussex
Hi all, I’m new here. My tortoise billy is 4yrs old. He’s shell has become a little soft, also I am worried as he can’t seem to lift himself resulting in him struggling to move as much, he’s shell is basically touching the floor as he drags he’s legs. He’s eating pretty well. Does anyone know what could be wrong and what I could do to help please?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi all, I’m new here. My tortoise billy is 4yrs old. He’s shell has become a little soft, also I am worried as he can’t seem to lift himself resulting in him struggling to move as much, he’s shell is basically touching the floor as he drags he’s legs. He’s eating pretty well. Does anyone know what could be wrong and what I could do to help please?
Metabolic bone disease. MBD. This comes from a lack of D3 and/or poor diet. Weak UV lights or the wrong type of bulbs, and a diet of grocery store greens will do this. In your climate a strong UV source is essential. What are you using for UV, and what do you feed the tortoise?

Unfortunately, pet shops give terrible advice and sell you the wrong products. Here is the correct care advice:

Questions are welcome.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Welcome from Devon. I'm so sorry that Billy is struggling. Could you list what he eats and if you are giving him any vitamin supplements - and you didn't say what kind of tortoise he is. A photo would be good, too.
Best wishes
Angie