help pretty please! (bumps inside scutes)

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Il
Is this normal? All those little bumps? I've had him for a month. He was like this when he came. He is 5 months now.

20150202_175234.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
These little bumps are called pyramiding . Its from lack of humidity . Set him up at 85/90 % humidity . Don't let your temperature drop below 80 ºf . Read the care sheet at tortoise libary . It will tell you every thing you need to do .

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Il
Thanks. I thought pyramiding was from diet mostly. I try to keep humidity up but its super hard When I'm at work it drops.

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Il
Thanks. I thought pyramiding was from diet mostly. I try to keep humidity up but its super hard When I'm at work it drops.
These little bumps are called pyramiding . Its from lack of humidity . Set him up at 85/90 % humidity . Don't let your temperature drop below 80 ºf . Read the care sheet at tortoise libary . It will tell you every thing you need to do .

This is why I'm so confused. Library said keep it 50

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Il
Trisha0: 1035609 said:
This is why I'm so confused. Library said keep it 50
To 70% so much comflicting info. So maybe it was whoever had him before?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The humidity needs to be high . But the substrate needs to be dry . It's important to make sure he's not sitting in wet substrate . This will cause shell rot . I keep my humidity with a humidifier . My day time temperature is 95 hot side and 80 cool side . Night time I keep it at 80 . Humidity stays 80/90 º day and drops a little at night . I turn off my humidifier off at night . Then turn it back on in the morning . Adult reds you can get away with lower humidity . The little guys need humidity .

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Il
The humidity needs to be high . But the substrate needs to be dry . It's important to make sure he's not sitting in wet substrate . This will cause shell rot . I keep my humidity with a humidifier . My day time temperature is 95 hot side and 80 cool side . Night time I keep it at 80 . Humidity stays 80/90 º day and drops a little at night . I turn off my humidifier off at night . Then turn it back on in the morning . Adult reds you can get away with lower humidity . The little guys need humidity .
Thanks that makes sense.I have a humidifyer too.it doesnt do much so I do spray often as I was directed by seller. I have to find a better way to keep it up. I feel so bad. :(

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Closed cambers is the only way . Post pictures of the setup . I maybe able to help . You have to cover the top .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Trisha:

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the little pimple-like bumps inside the scutes, right? Those are perfectly normal. All baby tortoises hatch out with those little bumps. You'll notice as he grows and matures they go away, and that the new growth doesn't have them. Your tortoise's shell looks fine. Stop worrying.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hi Trisha:

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the little pimple-like bumps inside the scutes, right? Those are perfectly normal. All baby tortoises hatch out with those little bumps. You'll notice as he grows and matures they go away, and that the new growth doesn't have them. Your tortoise's shell looks fine. Stop worrying.
I didn't even think about inside the scutes . I was thinking the new growth that is coming in . Eagle eye Yvonne. !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I didn't even think about inside the scutes . I was thinking the new growth that is coming in . Eagle eye Yvonne. !

I know. We've all been indoctrinated so well about pyramiding that sometimes that's all we see. Me too.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Yvonne is right...that pebbled texture to the original scute surface is 100% normal and in addition there is no sign of anything wrong with that little one's shell.
No worries!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Programmed in my head yes yes! But that little one is showing signs of pyramiding . So the humidity need to be fixed so it can be smooth .

Turtlepete

South Florida
Programmed in my head yes yes! But that little one is showing signs of pyramiding . So the humidity need to be fixed so it can be smooth .

All I can see from the picture is the growth lines slightly raised. Not the scutes. This happens in red's that age occasionally, despite the moisture. It smooths out as everything else catches up with it in growth.

If your humidity really is 50% though, it does need to be raised a lot. 80-90% is a good mark to shoot for.

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Il
Thanks all. Here is his set up. Night light is on. Top is covered with Plexiglass. It was suggusted by seller to get the tortoise house. I really have no option to buy another enclosure right now. suggestions welcomed. I am in and out a lot during the week. I've been spraying to raise humitidy.

Attachments

• 20150204_055035.jpg
    20150204_055035.jpg
    858.1 KB · Views: 48

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi Trish. Just read this thread. Did you manage to get the humidity up? What are you using for your substrate?

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Il
Hello,

I still cant keep it up, I have cyprus mulch and spagram moss on top. No matter wat it always drops down to 30. I love him but dont want to kill him. Someone told me red foots were the eaiset to keep up. Im thinking not. poor guy. Ive tried eerything thats suggested.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi Trisha. Chill out.:) Is your enclosure fully enclosed. How big is it. I have a layer of coco coir then cyprus mulch then spagnhum moss in certain areas including the hide. All my substrate is moist, not wet through but moist. What are your temps and what are you using to measure the temps and humidity.