HELP (red plastron, swollen cloaca)

nicoleann2214

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Hey guys I noticed the under belly of my tort is a bit red? It looks like she has something in there? Any idea?!?! She just had trouble pooping and her bum was a bit swollen it looked like she ate a wood chip. Is this color normal?

4B1D9DD4-1BF4-4306-8CE3-A66DAA36CE3B.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks normal. The pinkish color is vascularization to support the new growth.

Soak daily to help with the pooping.

nicoleann2214

NY
Looks normal. The pinkish color is vascularization to support the new growth.

Soak daily to help with the pooping.
Is that little weird looking dot something I should be worried about?

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Hey guys I noticed the under belly of my tort is a bit red? It looks like she has something in there? Any idea?!?! She just had trouble pooping and her bum was a bit swollen it looked like she ate a wood chip. Is this color normal?
I’m a newer tort owner,1 yr, but I soak my Sully everyday and usually change the water several times. He poops a lot! Maybe your guy needs more soaking to help hard poops.

nicoleann2214

NY
I’m a newer tort owner,1 yr, but I soak my Sully everyday and usually change the water several times. He poops a lot! Maybe your guy needs more soaking to help hard poops.
I do soak her everyday as well:) she usually poops every two-three days. I think she ate a chip as I just changed her enclosure around and added some new substrate so I’m guessing when she was eating she accidentally got a piece of cypress mulch with her food. Thanks for the advice! :)

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
I do soak her everyday as well:) she usually poops every two-three days. I think she ate a chip as I just changed her enclosure around and added some new substrate so I’m guessing when she was eating she accidentally got a piece of cypress mulch with her food. Thanks for the advice! :)
I use small orchid bark in Dexters enclosure I really prefer it to anything else. Maybe Tom could help you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you happen to know what it would be? Just curious.?
Looks like the umbilical scar where the yolk sac sticks out in a hatchling. When people don't start them right the yolk sac dries up weird and that dot can stay for a while. It should have faded by now, but looks like its still there on yours.

nicoleann2214

NY
Looks like the umbilical scar where the yolk sac sticks out in a hatchling. When people don't start them right the yolk sac dries up weird and that dot can stay for a while. It should have faded by now, but looks like its still there on yours.
Thanks Tom! Is there anything I can do to help with it or just leave be? Thank you for taking the time to give me good information, it’s greatly appreciated. I’m going to be building a nice big closed chamber for my little guy!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom! Is there anything I can do to help with it or just leave be? Thank you for taking the time to give me good information, it’s greatly appreciated. I’m going to be building a nice big closed chamber for my little guy!
It will disappear on its own over time. Its not a problem.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Is that little weird looking dot something I should be worried about?
The little dot on the tortoises plastron looks to be just some remnants of some yolk sack from when it was a hatchling. Tortoise shells aren't always perfect, usually slight differences are purely cosmetic.

JTH

5 Year Member
East Lansing, MI
I avoid cypress mulch for that reason... lots of larger sharp pieces to swallow. I've switched to fine cocochoir... it seems to hold humidity better and if they swallow any, it appears to pass easily through the gut. But you'll get a lot of opinions on substrate... this is just one person's experience.