ChloeRagusa

Location (City and/or State)
LAKEWOOD
HI EVERYONE!

Yesterday evening I noticed my 1.5 year old gopherus agassizii tortoise had a swollen cloaca. I palpated the area and there does not appear to be anything hard stuck inside. He or she is still able to pee as far as I have seen (haven't seen them poop first hand but there are poops in the enclosure), is eating normally, and is active as usual.

Any advice on what to do? Should I make an emergency vet appointment? Please weigh in!
@Tom and @Yvonne G

20230524_064612.jpg20230524_064552.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The picture's kinda' blurry, but it doesn't seem too swollen to me. Feed wet foods for a few days just in case he's constipated - cactus, watermelon, aloe, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It looks okay to me too, and if the behavior and appetite are normal, I'd leave it be.

How often are you soaking the tortoise?

ChloeRagusa

LAKEWOOD
The picture's kinda' blurry, but it doesn't seem too swollen to me. Feed wet foods for a few days just in case he's constipated - cactus, watermelon, aloe, etc.
Thank you, Yvonne! Sorry for the photo quality, I had to use the front facing camera by holding my tortoise over it. I didn't want to flip him and stress him out. I'll follow your advice. Should I give mineral oil as well?

ChloeRagusa

LAKEWOOD
It looks okay to me too, and if the behavior and appetite are normal, I'd leave it be.

How often are you soaking the tortoise?
Thanks for weighing in, I really appreciate it.
I don't think I am soaking him enough at all, only 1x a week for the last few weeks. This is probably caused by my neglect, I am assuming. So I'll get him back on his normal schedule.
Is it possible my tortoise is a girl? Only 1.5 years old but already about 8 inches long and probably 1-3 pounds. Is it too soon to tell and be concerned about impacted eggs or something?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you, Yvonne! Sorry for the photo quality, I had to use the front facing camera by holding my tortoise over it. I didn't want to flip him and stress him out. I'll follow your advice. Should I give mineral oil as well?
No, hold off on the mineral oil until or unless you're sure there's some sort of blockage.

ChloeRagusa

LAKEWOOD
No, hold off on the mineral oil until or unless you're sure there's some sort of blockage.
Thank you! I will watch closely. If there does appear to be a blockage, do you have recommendations on how much oil to include with his food? Is there any possibility of oil overdose?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for weighing in, I really appreciate it.
I don't think I am soaking him enough at all, only 1x a week for the last few weeks. This is probably caused by my neglect, I am assuming. So I'll get him back on his normal schedule.
Is it possible my tortoise is a girl? Only 1.5 years old but already about 8 inches long and probably 1-3 pounds. Is it too soon to tell and be concerned about impacted eggs or something?
Its possible that its a girl, but you wouldn't have any egg problems for a few more years.

I'd soak every other day for a couple of weeks and then back it down to two or three times a week. Does your tortoise have a good heat source for this chilly May gray we are having? Is it housed indoors still?

ChloeRagusa

LAKEWOOD
Its possible that its a girl, but you wouldn't have any egg problems for a few more years.

I'd soak every other day for a couple of weeks and then back it down to two or three times a week. Does your tortoise have a good heat source for this chilly May gray we are having? Is it housed indoors still?
Okay, I will do that.
He does, the heat is just like you detailed in your care sheet. He is indoors still, but I am building his summer enclosure in the yard this week in preparation for summer.

Reactions: Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you! I will watch closely. If there does appear to be a blockage, do you have recommendations on how much oil to include with his food? Is there any possibility of oil overdose?
Mineral oil is non absorptive, so it just coats whatever is in the digestive tract and makes it easier to slide out. I just coat the inside of a romaine leaf then roll it up like a cigar and hand feed it.

ChloeRagusa

LAKEWOOD
Mineral oil is non absorptive, so it just coats whatever is in the digestive tract and makes it easier to slide out. I just coat the inside of a romaine leaf then roll it up like a cigar and hand feed it.
Thank you! That's a funny image hahah! But I will keep it in mind for if Skrink's condition doesn't improve.

Yesterday when I bathed him I noticed there was a few little bits of his substrate (coco coir) in the cloaca and there was a bit of clear but slightly-more-viscous-than-water fluid around the cloaca opening. Should I be concerned about that?

ChloeRagusa

LAKEWOOD
Update:
I placed Skrink in a bathtub of warm water for about 1/2 hour and he had 4 massive poops. Maybe he was a bit constipated? I'm going to try that again today rather than soaking him in his smaller tub and see if he has anything else he needs to walk around to pass.

Thank you, as always @Tom and @Yvonne G for all your help and wisdom!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The idea of using the bathtub is so they have room to scramble around, trying to get out. It's the combo of warm water and scrambling that does the trick!

Reactions: Tom

ChloeRagusa

LAKEWOOD

Update. Skrink has a penis.