Tortoise swollen cloaca

Location (City and/or State)
Surrey, UK
Hello all, I need advice on this ASAP.

I'll start from the beginning. Yesterday, my tortoise Pippi was struggling to defecate. After a few good minutes of straining, she managed to do so. I soaked her in warm water afterwards to make sure it was all out.

Today, I fed Pippi and she showed no interest in her food, only eating a slice of cucumber when I put it right in front of her face. I also offered bell pepper, lettuce and broccoli, all of which she ignored.

On examination, I noticed that her cloaca was swollen. Not red and raw or anything, just swollen. I prodded it gently and saw that Pippi was visibly in pain, or uncomfortable at the very least (she was struggling and squeaking, as well as flinching when I touched her cloaca).

I don't know if there is anything stuck in there. I tried to have a look but I could not see anything. Is a visit to the vet necessary, or are there any home remedies? What could be the cause? Am I just worrying about nothing? Please help!

Please note: Egg binding is unlikely, as I have strong suspicions that "she" is a male, despite being told by her previous owners that she is a female. I suppose I am just in denial at the moment, hence why I am referring to her as female!

Attachments

• IMG_20220726_143951791_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220726_143951791_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20220726_143913569_MP.jpg
    IMG_20220726_143913569_MP.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Surrey, UK
UPDATE: Good news! Went to check on Pippi just now to find her eating her food. Guess she just wasn't hungry. I'm still concerned about the swelling though...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi
If you tell us what species and age your tort is and more about his/her enclosure with details of temps and pictures of lamps and substrate etc you'll get good advice on diet etc that could help get to the root of the problem, meanwhile keep up with regular soaks
Most UK torts are of the Mediterranean species so this is the caresheet you need to be going on with
How long have you had your tort?

Surrey, UK
Pippi is a Hermann tortoise, roughly six years old, and I have had her for a few months. She is not using a basking lamp at the moment as she is living outside and making the most of the warm weather! Daytime temperatures do not drop below 20°C, and are on the higher end of that at the moment.

I keep her in a run, part on the lawn and part sheltered, but she has free roam of the (tortoise-proofed) garden for a few hours a day.

In her tortoise table, which she stays in at night, I use coconut fibre substrate. I have actually already read that care sheet, and it was very helpful!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a Male and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
Just to be safe, soak him daily in a large container that he can move around in for about a week.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ok thanks. Her, or rather, his, previous owner was apparently a vet from a popular television show, so I guess his judgement wasn't too reliable if he thought he was a female 😬
I could be wrong, I don't have a 100% accuracy. But I'd be very surprised if it were female.
Btw, a lot of vets have no clue when it comes to a lot of things tortoise. Should always do your own research, ask questions on here, before any vet visit or treatment.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
People not familiar with the russian species don't realize male russians have flat plastrons like females, not concave like other species.