Help! Shell fungus or growth on 4 month old redfoot

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi
Can someone help me identify this if it's fungus or growth lines View attachment 310904View attachment 310906
It is not in the right places for growth lines. The growth lines are at the outer border of the scutes, at the seam area (junction) where two scutes meet, not within the borders of the scutes. These white areas are fungus. Luckily it isn't too bad yet. Get some inexpensive athlete's foot cream and apply it to those white areas with a cotton swab for a few days. It should take care of the problem. Repeat as needed if you see it come back.

Note that there appears to be some on the marginal scutes also Those are the smaller scutes around the border of the upper shell.

You should also look on the bottom shell to see if there is any fungus growth there as well.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
I would start regularly applying coconut oil to the entire shell. It's also an antifungal on top of making them grow smoother!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
On the application of coconut oil, how frequent should I apply it?

I wouldn't know how to cure the fungal infection you have there, I would use athlete's foot cream to clear that up!
However, regular application of coco oil seems really great at preventing outbreaks of stuff akin to that... perhaps someone else out there knows better. Artemis has never had shell rot.