HELP Shell is cracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Walnut Creek, Ca
I had my new little girl outside for some sunlight and when I brought her back in I noticed she shell is cracking and lifting. I hadn't noticed it before.
Any suggestions?
photo (14).jpg
photo (15).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
115 views and no responses, is there anyone that can help? What's the best way to treat this?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Is it shedding? I really don't know what that is or why it is happening.
Does it have a bad smell? Is it soft? Could it have fallen and cracked its shell? Bump!!! bump!!! come on tortoise in need !!
Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

swatsx

5 Year Member
What's the temp and humidity ? What kind of tortoise what's the encloser like?

Sprinkles

5 Year Member
Vet visit is my advice

Leopards: Sprinkles and Sobe
Redfoot: Tory

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
It looks like it could be shell rot. Russians need humidity but not wetness. In other words, if you are providing some humidity in her enclosure, make sure it's not so humid that the substrate is wet. They are prone to shell rot because in trying to provide humidity in their hide/enclosure, the substrate gets too wet which causes their shell to rot. DO NOT put any fungus or any other foot cream on it unless your vet prescribes it. I would change the substrate you are using if wet. Keep the substrate dry. You can use a humidifier to provide the desired amount of humidity. Then, make an appointment with a vet who specializes in tortoise care for the proper solution/cream to treat this fungus (I do believe it's a fungus).

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I've only had her a week and I am sure this didn't happen over night. I use 100% coco coir and my humidity is under 50%. I am hoping to treat her without a vet visit since I have not found one in the area that knows anything about tortoise care. If you think it is necessary then I will start calling around in the morning looking for someone.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Well, you're right that this didn't happen overnight. I would contact Yvonne over PM and ask her what would be safe to treat this. In the meantime, do a search on the net to see what others have done that was safe and worked. I have a water turtle that got a fungus on her shell and I had to keep her out of water and apply a solution that I got over the counter. I can't remember the name right now, but I 'll check into it and pm you. It's possible that Yvonne will know what the name is. She's like a small town tortoise vet, but not officially. She's just very knowledgeable. In the meantime, remove the coco coir because it tends to hold moisture. I'd just put a dry towel or even newspaper to ensure the substrate is dry. When Yvonne gets back to you, you'll be fine. It's still a good idea to look for the nearest tort vet just in case you need him in the future.

mikeh

5 Year Member
You have not noticed it before, but is it possible she had it when you got her? Is this the only spot on her shell or are other spots are showing similar symptoms of peeling, cracking? I would seek out a vet and make sure coco coir does not get into the wound. Keep her on paper towels till. Shell rots at least the once I have seen show white like stains on the surface of the plastron. This could be a cracked shell injury, not shell rot. If it is, don't panic, she will be fine. The visit to the vet is in order.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Why don't you try posting this question in the Health section. You will get more views and answers.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My first thought was it is an old injury that is healing....it is not gooey right? have you soaked the tort and gently cleaned that spot?

Is the tort eating and trucking around healthy like?

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I will PM Yvonne, thank you Sibi.
No it's not gooey at all actually very dry. She otherwise eats like a pig and is active all day. The guy I got her from said he thinks he got her from the tortoise supply so I was thinking about contacting them to see if they had any info on her. Long shot I know... Sorry I posted this in the health section too, sorry for the double posting.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah....I believe you will find it is a healed over prior injury....it does not look like a serious situation to me...have you soaked and then cleaned the spot to get a good look at it?

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I soaked her and looked at it when I found it, but put her back in her table after I dried her. She then did about 8 laps jumping off her log with each pass and making quite the mess. So it's filled with subtrait again. In the morning I will clean it out and remove the coco coir until it heals.

Status
Not open for further replies.