Help. Sick box turtle

Jax Clegg

Location (City and/or State)
Belpre, OH
Glad this handsome feller is on the mend…Ohio’s winters and spring can make it interesting with our turtle friends outdoors…I’ve witnessed all 4 seasons in one day, lol;) I feel like I spend all of September and October feeding my box turtles a varied diet with a tad bit more emphasis on vitamin A and I still have a few come up from brumation over the last couple of years with ear abscess or an URI. I think the warmer and unpredictable winters with drastic temp changes aren’t helping. As long as they’re still eating, I found great success with injecting nightcrawlers with Baytril 10% oral solution…especially with an ear abscess. I had some pretty large ear abscesses completely dissolve in a matter of a week once I started the treatment. Just a little tidbit. Anyways, hope he continues to improve!
Actually I've been wondering about brumation for next year with this little guy. He was wild but I was advised to keep him. I've never delt with that before tho and I'm not sure how to go about it - figure I should ask now rather than waiting till last minute so I know what to do and expect lol

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
In my opinion I would wait another year until he is use to his surroundings and not sick. I'm don't brumate my desert box turtle. Paxton isn't sick, but I prefer not too.

Jax Clegg

Belpre, OH
In my opinion I would wait another year until he is use to his surroundings and not sick. I'm don't brumate my desert box turtle. Paxton isn't sick, but I prefer not too.
I wasn't sure if it was bad on their health to not let them brumate after doing it for years already. Also I'm pretty sure he got his respiratory infection from coming out of brumation during the first thaw and go caught up in the cold weather so I'm really worried about him getting sick again because of that

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Then don't do it, at least not this year. I am concerned too about brumation. I have never done it, and never will. I just keep Paxton on the same schedule all year. I never brumate my Hermann tortoises either. My opinion

Jax Clegg

Belpre, OH
Then don't do it, at least not this year. I am concerned too about brumation. I have never done it, and never will. I just keep Paxton on the same schedule all year. I never brumate my Hermann tortoises either. My opinion
So it's ok to not brumate even if they have past years? Again I don't know much about this scenario- I understand the concept of brumation I just wasn't sure if the turtle would get stressed not being

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Naw, we like Matilda inside during the winter time! I think we can all agree the turtles are the coolest pets so why not have them around year-round? It also removes the stress of wondering if she is okay. I suggest you do what you feel right with as long as you're willing to accept the consequences if your poor a little guy passes. I hate to put it so starkly but I don't tend to sugarcoat things very much.

" just because we can doesn't mean that we have to."

It took me a half a dozen decades to learn that lesson

Jax Clegg

Belpre, OH
Naw, we like Matilda inside during the winter time! I think we can all agree the turtles are the coolest pets so why not have them around year-round? It also removes the stress of wondering if she is okay. I suggest you do what you feel right with as long as you're willing to accept the consequences if your poor a little guy passes. I hate to put it so starkly but I don't tend to sugarcoat things very much.

" just because we can doesn't mean that we have to."

It took me a half a dozen decades to learn that lesson
Okay I'm glad it doesn't have any negative affects with keeping him in all winter. That's a huge relief, it's the middle of summer and I was already stressing lol

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Okay I'm glad it doesn't have any negative affects with keeping him in all winter. That's a huge relief, it's the middle of summer and I was already stressing lol
With the proper lighting and heating set up you can keep them up during the winter. Search "Tortoise overwintering" on the forum to find out more.