HELP: Star Tortoise not eating and keep staying on the same spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaTurtule

5 Year Member
Hi,

any experts here can advice what can i do with my 10yrs old star tortoise as he is not eating and inactive for the past 3-4days.

Thanks.

TORTOMANIA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
BUFFALO NY
has he been deficating?, he may have an intestinal blockage, maybe you can try to lure him with a little banana, which may also clean him out.

M

Maggie Cummings

We need more info then just that. How do you keep him? Lights, substrate etc. How long since he's eaten? How long since you've soaked him?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group!

Yes, please give us some info also including how long you've had this tort. Going from active to inactive besides a health problem (for which you need to see a vet--if the tort has a runny nose, etc) can very commonly be a change in temps significantly up or down. Sometimes for a couple days at a time a tort will slow down (I call it going through a funk--they can feel weather/pressure changes), but I don't like to see that more than 2 days in a row with my tort. I will pull my tort out of his burrow/hide and place him in front of the food. Make sure you have a hide next to the food and next to the basking spot in addition to a cooler temp one so that the tort is encourages to eat & bask. I want to see my tort eating and moving around a bit daily, and if its the second day in a row he isn't wanting to come out, then I will pick him up and encourage the food & basking & moving around. Has the tort been checked for parasites by taking a fecal sample to the vet?

NinjaTurtule

5 Year Member
Hi,

this tortoise have been with me for 10 -11yrs. She never failed to eat the food i prep for her daily. I'm suspecting its the recent heavy rain and climax change as I lived in a tropical country and the temp should be just nice for the tort.

But this is the 1st time so far in 10yrs she behave like that... not eating and moving.

I tried force feed her some water n soaked her in luke warm water and she seems to be slightly active while soaking. But once i removed her from the water, she's back to the inactive stage :(

U

Usernamefestus16

we should all feel honored to be able to have a star tortoise, we should study,and do all we can to make their lives as we would want ours to be. Keep them warm at all time, give them fresh greens everday, which include all their nessessary vitamins,and minerals, keep them clean as you would yourself, clean there eyes,andtalk to them.think of yourself in there home, how would you like to be treated. If you cannot be completly attentive to their needs, then you need to find someone in the forum who will, they deserve our love and respect.

samstar

5 Year Member
What do you feed it? What does your preperations consist of?

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Usernamefestus16 said:
we should all feel honored to be able to have a star tortoise, we should study,and do all we can to make their lives as we would want ours to be. Keep them warm at all time, give them fresh greens everday, which include all their nessessary vitamins,and minerals, keep them clean as you would yourself, clean there eyes,andtalk to them.think of yourself in there home, how would you like to be treated. If you cannot be completly attentive to their needs, then you need to find someone in the forum who will, they deserve our love and respect.

What in the jesus are you talking about? Are you drunk? You are not helping this poor guy out one bit. He has kept his pet tortoise for a DECADE and I'm sure he is worried, and sure as hell cares alot for that tortoise of his.

NinjaTurtule

5 Year Member
I try to feed it with fiber-rich diets. Mainly consists of dandelion, hibiscus, clover, occasionally, rose petals with lettuce. It could be my fault that i didn't try to introduce more variety of food to her... :(

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's always possible that she is egg bound. :( It would help to get to a vet and get her x-rayed. Any vet can x-ray a tortoise.

Danny

samstar

5 Year Member
ISTortoiseLover said:
Usernamefestus16 said:

What in the jesus are you talking about? Are you drunk? You are not helping this poor guy out one bit. He has kept his pet tortoise for a DECADE and I'm sure he is worried, and sure as hell cares alot for that tortoise of his.
I totally agree, what in the world are you on about?

NinjaTurtule said:
I try to feed it with fiber-rich diets. Mainly consists of dandelion, hibiscus, clover, occasionally, rose petals with lettuce. It could be my fault that i didn't try to introduce more variety of food to her... :(
Get it's poop tested right away

patrickstar

5 Year Member
then if the warm water helped, keep her warm, maybe she couldnt digest her food because she got cold, maybe some mineral oil, to get the stuff out of her. lack of vit a, could make her sick, grate up some carrots. if you get her food from outside make sure you wash it, you never know what other animals have been on the plants, sorry if i hurt your feelings didnt mean to, mine have never been sick, im sure it would freak me out. no i don't drink or do drugs, just have a high respect for my tortoises. i don't keep mine outside because of the change of weather, and other enviromental things that could be in the grasses, so im pretty finicky about where they are kept. mineral oil might flush her out if shes stuck in there. if not she maybe egg bound, even if theres no male around, they still will lay eggs.
Hi,

this tortoise have been with me for 10 -11yrs. She never failed to eat the food i prep for her daily. I'm suspecting its the recent heavy rain and climax change as I lived in a tropical country and the temp should be just nice for the tort.

But this is the 1st time so far in 10yrs she behave like that... not eating and moving.

I tried force feed her some water n soaked her in luke warm water and she seems to be slightly active while soaking. But once i removed her from the water, she's back to the inactive stage :(
[/quote]

radhika

5 Year Member
NinjaTurtule said:
Hi,

any experts here can advice what can i do with my 10yrs old star tortoise as he is not eating and inactive for the past 3-4days.

Thanks.

how is ur star now. was she egg bound.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ISTortoiseLover said:
Usernamefestus16 said:

Probably a troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.