Help tortoise has white spots inflamed

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Walgreens, Walmart, the grocery store. The dollar store. Any pharmacy or general store.
Anyones version of ATHLETES FOOT CREAM.
The pet shops wont have it. But if they did, it'd be the same cream with a cartoon of a lizard on the box and it'd be $29.95.
This is my brand. From the Dollar Tree.
One dollar! And it's quite effective.
I've also got some $1 anti bacterial ointment for cuts and bites.
20190915_115036.jpg

ZenHerper

New Jersey
thank you so much !! I’ll definetly take that into consideration I assumed it was some sort of fungus but I just wanted to make sure do you know if the product you mentioned is available in pet stores ? Or if you’ve ever bought one could you reccomend ? Thank you again for your help and the pool that I use for them is outside with mud it usually drains itself at night and I fill it again with water should I stop doing that? And they’re all red doors except one is a yellow foot

What @ZEROPILOT said about getting the value brand anti-fungal creme.

Mold (fungal) spores, algae, and bacteria like it wet - they will grow in the dirt all around the low spot that fills up there. For microbes that will be happy living on and in skin, there is a risk of serious systemic infection in time, and even GI/kidney/liver toxicity from drinking chronically-contaminated water.

I'd fill in those low spots and let the ground dry out. Find something that can be used for wading pools that you can scrub out frequently, depending on how much they soil the water.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you so much I appreciate it I will definetly start doing that. Do you think it’s contagious to humans or just tortoises ? She’s been near the other tortoises for the past week so this sort of worries me thank you again for your help
If its fungus its transmissible to other tortoises. And whatever it is, I'd be concerned about things like rubbing my eyes.
Simply because it is un confirmed.
Just out of safety. Pretend that it's a case of the PLAGUE.
It isn't. But you'll be safe until this gets figured out.

Florida
Walgreens, Walmart, the grocery store. The dollar store. Any pharmacy or general store.
Anyones version of ATHLETES FOOT CREAM.
The pet shops wont have it. But if they did, it'd be the same cream with a cartoon of a lizard on the box and it'd be $29.95.
This is my brand. From the Dollar Tree.
One dollar! And it's quite effective.
I've also got some $1 anti bacterial ointment for cuts and bites.
View attachment 321515
Thank you I’ll have to immoderately buy it as her left eye is completly shut her right one is barley opening Iv separated her thank you again for your help

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you I’ll have to immoderately buy it as her left eye is completly shut her right one is barley opening Iv separated her thank you again for your help
Has it got that much worse since you Posted the pics earlier?
You can't use the athletes foot cream on the eye so maybe you do need to see a tortoise vet.
What do you think @ZEROPILOT and @ZenHerper ?

Wait for some more advice from them.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
It's 8.30pm on the U.S. East Coast on a Sunday night...likely hard to find someone until the morning. If someone's emergency service will call you back, that works. But they need to be someone who knows tortoise emergency and derm medicine.

In the meantime, get the anti-fungal therapy started. If you can find a chlorhexidine solution in the pharmacy section of the store (or ask) that can be used as a pre-soak. DO NOT LET YOUR TORT DRINK IT. Use it in a well-ventilated place - chlorhexidine has been known to provoke gravely serious asthmatic attacks in people.

This is another healthful emergency first aid treatment for torts:

Rinse the carrot water off completely before applying the anti-fungal creme.

Florida
it’s gotten much worst indeed her left eye is completly shut off by the white thing I can’t even see her eye and her right one is half way there do you think she’ll be okay like this for one more night until I can call a vet tomorrow ?? Eveything is closed

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Definitely not on her eyes - any eye preparation has to be specifically formulated for the corneas.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Get to a tort vet asap tomorrow for eye treatment and keep an eye on the other torts to make sure they've not been infected too.
Good luck let us know how you get on and remember no vitamin shots.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
thank you again eveyone for all your help ! It’s greatly appreciated I will leave an update as soon as I can get a vet and I’ll make sure no shots or cream on her eye thank you
If the vet prescribes specific eye cream or drops, that will be fine to use.:)

But NO Athletes Foot Cream that you buy yourself on eyes and no vitamin shots.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
thank you again eveyone for all your help ! It’s greatly appreciated I will leave an update as soon as I can get a vet and I’ll make sure no shots or cream on her eye thank you
If the vet says it's a bacterial infection, an antibiotic shot is ok.
Just no "vitamin shots".

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Yes.

Make sure to keep her in a container where the temp is 85*F.

Frequent opportunities to soak in warm water (if she is not able to drink, she can at least absorb some water through the vent). Do the carrot soup treatment daily so she can get some sugar; just rinse off the mix with clean warm water afterwards.

Humidity helps, but make sure that no mold grows in the substrate.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I had no idea that pneumonia can do that to the eyes and produce white spots.
I do hope he will be better soon.

The spots are some kind of infection...whether the skin infection came first them migrated to the sinuses/lungs, or vice-versa. Infection spreads rapidly in reptiles not yet reaching their summer time temps since the immune system cannot fully charge up.

The eyes might be a combination of run-away infection, generalized inflammation, and dehydration.