Help!! (tortoise is eating substrate)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She may be missing something in her diet? What is her diet?
Also are you using any red bulbs? Tortoises are attracted to red things and the red bulbs make things look red, which will cause some torts to eat things they shouldn't.

She may be missing something in her diet? What is her diet?
Also are you using any red bulbs? Tortoises are attracted to red things and the red bulbs make things look red, which will cause some torts to eat things they shouldn't.
I don't use any Red Bulbs. Her favorite thing to eat is romaine lettuce and she gets carrots, apples, broccoli and peas about 2-3 times a week. I also give her a multi vitamin and a calcium supplement.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
They eat substrate either because they think it's food (why people ask about the red bulb) or because they are craving something lacking in their diet. Your diet is far from ideal, so I suspect your answer is there. Get rid of the fruit, peas, carrots, and broccoli - add in lots of diverse broadleaf weeds (your tortoise will get the fiber, vitamins, and minerals it needs from a diet of weeds that it won't get from what you are feeding now).

They eat substrate either because they think it's food (why people ask about the red bulb) or because they are craving something lacking in their diet. Your diet is far from ideal, so I suspect your answer is there. Get rid of the fruit, peas, carrots, and broccoli - add in lots of diverse broadleaf weeds (your tortoise will get the fiber, vitamins, and minerals it needs from a diet of weeds that it won't get from what you are feeding now).
Thank you,
I will definitely try that!