Help. Tortoise shell is separating.

Tawny

Hi,
I have a young russian tortoise I got in June. I just notice her shell is starting to separate. I mix up her food so she doesn't have to much of one thing. I dust her food with reptivite with calcium. She also as access to cuttle bone. I let her soak every 4-5 days. She also has sufficient lighting and heat. I don't think its normal? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410050191.981581.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410050214.932388.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tawny, and welcome to the Forum!

The seam you are looking at is where the new growth happens. Those areas, all around the shell in between the scutes, are tender and sort of soft. It looks like that area on your tortoise has been damaged in some way. Either by a hot lamp, or a sharp object - there's no way of knowing. The shell isn't separating, and there's nothing to worry about. You can help it heal by rubbing in some Neosporin. Massage it in good, then wipe off the excess.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
...also, your Russian isn't all that young. The pet stores always tell their customers that about Russians. I think it's because the tortoise is small. Russians ARE a small species. The tortoise looks almost full grown to me.