help w/ BUGS and lethargic redfoot!

Inthevalley

5 Year Member
I've had our baby redfoot for about 6-8 months now. She's always been pretty timid, compared to my moms tortoise who was hatched on the same day from the same mom. Every time you go to pick her up she'll hide in her shell for quite some time. But lately she's been more lethargic, sometimes I wont see her for days as she'll be hiding and will pull her out to soak her or put her next to her food so she'll eat. Some days she doesnt eat at all and its been several days since shes pooped.

I also noticed some little bugs in her enclosure, so i threw out that substrate, cleaned it and put new stuff in there. As i was soaking her today i noticed that she had a lot of those little bugs that were coming off of her and crawling on her shell, poor thing. So I sprayed all those off and think I got them all. I'm wondering if thats normal to get bugs in there or if they could be making her sick? She's a redfoot so I spray her enclosure down several times a day to keep it humid in there, and have a heat lamp going at all times, but during the winter even with that on sometimes it still gets down to 60 degrees in there at night. Also I'm wondering if I should be feeding her something different? Right now she just gets greens and fruit (mostly bananas), and occasionally a boiled egg for protein.

I just get worried about her when she doesnt eat or move a lot (unless shes just doing it while im not home) and sometimes makes weird movements with her head. I'll post a photo of the bugs and see if any of you have had this issue or any advice to getting her more healthy?

Attachments

• tortoisebugs.jpg
    tortoisebugs.jpg
    833.3 KB · Views: 55

edwardbo

5 Year Member
are they tiny little bugs , white,tend to crawl between leg scales ? i had them ,seemed to have come in coconut brick ,cleaned cage and went w/cypress ,havent seen any more .i noticed them swarming on bare glass bottom ,looked like white pepper.

does any body know what they are ?they floated when tort weas soaked,