Redfoot Whistling

redfootben

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Hi, I just got an 8" redfoot 3 days ago and since then I have noticed that she has been whistling through her naves. It is pretty constant and noticeable whether basking after her bath, excited or exercising. Alongside that, we noticed that she has watery eyes sometimes. I think it could be just her adjusting to her new climate but still concerned about RI. Other than those issues she is very active and eats well. Any ideas on what this could be? I have already grown so attached in just 2 days.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi, I just got an 8" redfoot 3 days ago and since then I have noticed that she has been whistling through her naves. It is pretty constant and noticeable whether basking after her bath, excited or exercising. Alongside that, we noticed that she has watery eyes sometimes. I think it could be just her adjusting to her new climate but still concerned about RI. Other than those issues she is very active and eats well. Any ideas on what this could be? I have already grown so attached in just 2 days.
That's not a lot of information to go in.
Noises while breathing are not normal. Watery eyes can be from dehydration or from a nasal or respiratory issue.
What is the temperature? What is the humidity? What is the animals history?

redfootben

Northern California
That's not a lot of information to go on.
Noises while breathing are not normal. Watery eyes can be from dehydration or from a nasal or respiratory issue.
What is the temperature? What is the humidity? What is the animals history?
Thank you for the quick response. We purchased her Friday night from a reputable vivarium in our area. We did not hear the sound in the store, but it has been apparent from the moment we came home (less noisy at home). Unfortunately, the employee who helped us did not have any history on her other than 4-5 years old "possibly". They likely inherited her as a surrender as they do from time to time at that vivarium. She does have slight pyramiding, Shell is of/in good shape along with her strength and mobility. She does not breathe with her mouth open, always closed. She does puff her neck and her breathing can be quickened. I wish I could post the audio of her whistling sound to help more. Tank temp is 83, humidity we are trying to hone in still, and currently at 70.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you for the quick response. We purchased her Friday night from a reputable vivarium in our area. We did not hear the sound in the store, but it has been apparent from the moment we came home (less noisy at home). Unfortunately, the employee who helped us did not have any history on her other than 4-5 years old "possibly". They likely inherited her as a surrender as they do from time to time at that vivarium. She does have slight pyramiding, Shell is of/in good shape along with her strength and mobility. She does not breathe with her mouth open, always closed. She does puff her neck and her breathing can be quickened. I wish I could post the audio of her whistling sound to help more. Tank temp is 83, humidity we are trying to hone in still, and currently at 70.
Keep her warm and well hydrated and monitor her.
Chances are that it's minor and will go away. But that's of course a guess.
Do you know of an actual tortoise vet?
(Beware of vets that know almost nothing about tortoises)
I currently am also nursing a surrendered RF with similar issues. These usually work themselves out with care.
Hopefully it's not an infection.

Do you have any moss in your enclosure? Just curious. If you do, remove it asap

Last edited: