Whistling Sulcata

MyaFitzgerald9

Location (City and/or State)
Gibsonia
Hi there, my Sulcata, Rua, has been whistling out of her noise when breathing. She is a little over a year old.
  • She has no symptoms of a RI, no bubbling, no labored breathing, lethargy, etc. She has been eating well, behaving completely normal, and has the same bowel habits.
We had coconut fiber in her terrarium for a while and every once in a while I would notice a little coconut hair sticking out of her nose. I would remove them and proceed with my day. However, for the past few weeks she has been whistling constantly. We decided to remove the coconut fiber, thinking that maybe some was stuck in her nose. Its been about a 1 and 1/2 weeks since we changed her substrate to repti bark and there has been no change. We have tried giving her 2 baths a day hoping to dislodge it, spraying saline up her nose (which hasn’t probably done anything since she hides her head every time we try), and even increasing her humidity incase her nasal passages were dry.

Im truly stuck at this point. I am an RN-BSN, but that obviously doesn’t help much with tortoise care. Lol.

I follow all of Tom's care guides so her temperatures and humidity are right where they should be. Im not sure how to move forward here. I am looking for advice on what you think it could be, and how to move forward or treat it. I know a lot of people don't usually recommend a vet on here & I am not sure if a vet visit would do much for her anyway. However, I figured I would ask the more experienced tortoise owners of tortoise forum.

Thank you!

I am tagging some of the best people I know on here in case they can help me out with this!
@Tom @Yvonne G

MyaFitzgerald9

Gibsonia
Additionally:
We monitor temp with temperature gun and a digital therm/hygrometer

Temps: 95-100 under basking spot, ambient temps of 80 all the time and they climb to around 85 during the day
Humidity: 80-85%

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If there is something lodged in the nare, the only thing I know to do is remove it.

MyaFitzgerald9

Gibsonia
If there is something lodged in the nare, the only thing I know to do is remove it.
Do you have any advice on how I can remove it? She hides her head every time I try to touch her nose.

And from your experience—have you found this symptom in any other tort? I’m just worried about her and don’t want to prolong her not getting care and end up with a dead tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have any advice on how I can remove it? She hides her head every time I try to touch her nose.

And from your experience—have you found this symptom in any other tort? I’m just worried about her and don’t want to prolong her not getting care and end up with a dead tortoise.
This is a situation where a vet with a scope can verify whether or not there is anything in the nare. If there is, they might be able to reach it easily. If not, they may have to put her under to get it.

Your temperatures sound ideal, and if all else is normal, I don't suspect sickness.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Additionally:
We monitor temp with temperature gun and a digital therm/hygrometer

Temps: 95-100 under basking spot, ambient temps of 80 all the time and they climb to around 85 during the day
Humidity: 80-85%
Sound like the living condition are good, if you thing there may be something in its nostrils. I suggesting using a infants nose syringe. Making sure not to push air into the lungs, You want too suck anything out that may be stuck. May help if you give it a warm soak first, just an idea.

nicoleann2214

NY
Hi there, my Sulcata, Rua, has been whistling out of her noise when breathing. She is a little over a year old.
  • She has no symptoms of a RI, no bubbling, no labored breathing, lethargy, etc. She has been eating well, behaving completely normal, and has the same bowel habits.
We had coconut fiber in her terrarium for a while and every once in a while I would notice a little coconut hair sticking out of her nose. I would remove them and proceed with my day. However, for the past few weeks she has been whistling constantly. We decided to remove the coconut fiber, thinking that maybe some was stuck in her nose. Its been about a 1 and 1/2 weeks since we changed her substrate to repti bark and there has been no change. We have tried giving her 2 baths a day hoping to dislodge it, spraying saline up her nose (which hasn’t probably done anything since she hides her head every time we try), and even increasing her humidity incase her nasal passages were dry.

Im truly stuck at this point. I am an RN-BSN, but that obviously doesn’t help much with tortoise care. Lol.

I follow all of Tom's care guides so her temperatures and humidity are right where they should be. Im not sure how to move forward here. I am looking for advice on what you think it could be, and how to move forward or treat it. I know a lot of people don't usually recommend a vet on here & I am not sure if a vet visit would do much for her anyway. However, I figured I would ask the more experienced tortoise owners of tortoise forum.

Thank you!

I am tagging some of the best people I know on here in case they can help me out with this!
@Tom @Yvonne G
My sulcata has the same
Situation. He has been like that for a year. I haven’t had any problems, but I am thinking about going to the vet as well.

MyaFitzgerald9

Gibsonia
This is a situation where a vet with a scope can verify whether or not there is anything in the nare. If there is, they might be able to reach it easily. If not, they may have to put her under to get it.

Your temperatures sound ideal, and if all else is normal, I don't suspect sickness.
Thanks Tom! Glad to hear you don't suspect sickness. I will get her to the vet.

MyaFitzgerald9

Gibsonia
Sound like the living condition are good, if you thing there may be something in its nostrils. I suggesting using a infants nose syringe. Making sure not to push air into the lungs, You want too suck anything out that may be stuck. May help if you give it a warm soak first, just an idea.
I will definitely try that out first, and if no success--I will take her to the vet to get scoped. Thank you!

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I will definitely try that out first, and if no success--I will take her to the vet to get scoped. Thank you!
Just remember not to push air in. To see what you may fine, rinse syringe with water and empty in a white paper towel. Hopefully it will work.