Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
@TheTortoiseking

One would think that a tortoise who lives in the house in climate controlled conditions would not consider brumating because each day is like the last but some tortoises are very tuned in to earth conditions and know when it's time to stop eating and prepare to brumate. It's difficult to keep these tortoises up.

It is my perception that pet tortoises don't physically need to nor have to brumate. If you want to keep your tortoise up this winter, far as I know, this is perfectly ok.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
my tortoise is 8 years old I am a new owner and feel that it is too late in year to start hibernation
On the contrary, it is too early to start brumation prep. I don't usually start until November and I put them down in December.

This may help you decide which way to go:

Questions are welcome.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think it’s considered riskier for a baby though no? Hence I’d just wait until they’re a bit older, wild vs captive care is so different
No. Not risky at all when done correctly. I can't help what anyone else "considers" about this normal, easy, and natural process. When done correctly, it has worked perfectly for me hundreds of times with snakes, lizards and tortoises of many species over a period of decades. If it were "risky", I surely would have seen a problem somewhere along the way, no?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep, the topic for brumating a baby is still up for a debate.
What is the debate?

Yeah I just don’t think it’s worth the risk when you can wait a few years🙂I guess it’s up to the individuals research
What risk?
I don’t doubt it’s safer in captivity

it’s one of those things where yes they do it in the wild, but should it be recommended for babies in captivity? We get to play god after all so why not wait until it’s considered safer? We’re all about safety when it comes to captive care
Considered safer by who? Why is it safer for a three year old than a one year old? I can tell you from decades of first hand experience that it isn't unsafe for them at any age. I think it is good for them. I fully understand that some people are unfamiliar with the practice and/or simply uncomfortable doing it, but that doesn't make it risky or dangerous. It just means those people aren't comfortable with it or don't understand some element of it. I think Wellington's response in post #18 is perfect. Sums it all up very well.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
What is the debate?
I don't want to go off topic on this thread, but basically it is what we are seeing here. I guess there is still some info out there saying babies are too weak to brumate, since I have seen this discussed again and again. It is more like debating over different opinions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@TheTortoiseking

One would think that a tortoise who lives in the house in climate controlled conditions would not consider brumating because each day is like the last but some tortoises are very tuned in to earth conditions and know when it's time to stop eating and prepare to brumate. It's difficult to keep these tortoises up.

It is my perception that pet tortoises don't physically need to nor have to brumate. If you want to keep your tortoise up this winter, far as I know, this is perfectly ok.
I agree with this post too. They all seem to "know" what time of year it is and what they should be doing during that time. I don't fight them on it and help them do what comes naturally in a safe controlled way.

I'll agree that they do not have to be brumated, but from what I have seen from brumating and not brumating, the temperate species fare better when brumated. I see more vigor and better appetite. More activity, better breeding activity, and they just seem to overall "thrive" rather than just survive when they are properly brumated. This has been my experience with it, but I realize that this is subjective and difficult to scientifically measure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't want to go off topic on this thread, but basically it is what we are seeing here. I guess there is still some info out there saying babies are too weak to brumate, since I have seen this discussed again and again. It is more like debating over different opinions.
I think this is right on topic and specifically related to the OP's question.

It is my experience that the people who think it is risky or dangerous have done it incorrectly and gotten a bad result from it. They then mistakenly believe that brumation, a process that happens naturally and annually for billions of animals, is somehow potentially dangerous or risky for a captive animal, and they vocally share their opinion with anyone who will listen. Those opinions are regularly repeated here on this forum, and even here on this thread.

I've brumated 100s of baby snakes, tortoises, and lizards in their first year and every year, and never had any issues. I can understand people's trepidation because of what is so commonly said about it, but I feel bad for those reptiles that are kept up over winter when they want to be slumbering as they would in the wild. I recognize that brumation is not "necessary" and that it seems to do no harm to those tortoises, but I still am of the opinion that is is better for them to brumate, if they would be brumating in the wild.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I think this is right on topic and specifically related to the OP's question.

It is my experience that the people who think it is risky or dangerous have done it incorrectly and gotten a bad result from it. They then mistakenly believe that brumation, a process that happens naturally and annually for billions of animals, is somehow potentially dangerous or risky for a captive animal, and they vocally share their opinion with anyone who will listen. Those opinions are regularly repeated here on this forum, and even here on this thread.

I've brumated 100s of baby snakes, tortoises, and lizards in their first year and every year, and never had any issues. I can understand people's trepidation because of what is so commonly said about it, but I feel bad for those reptiles that are kept up over winter when they want to be slumbering as they would in the wild. I recognize that brumation is not "necessary" and that it seems to do no harm to those tortoises, but I still am of the opinion that is is better for them to brumate, if they would be brumating in the wild.
I think as a non-native English speaker I mixed up "up for debate" and "being still debated". I meant that it is still a hot topic people can't agree on. I wasn't making any comments on the evidence, if you get what I am saying. :)