Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
Tomorrow afternoon I will be picking up these little guys for rescue:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/pet/3324495993.html

I know they need some REAL food and a better substrate. But, what about humidity and temps? When I actually get them home and look them over good I will update on here. I will try to get their weights and measurements.

Advice on what else they need? They are still pretty small (especially the one) so do they need soaked? I'm pretty read up with my hatchling care but I don't know what these guys will need that's different.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
good for you. thanks for taking them!

i'd say yes to soaking them. they most likely need the extra hydration for now. you may or may not have to keep it up, but start with daily soaks.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Deformed and doesn't grow? I honestly don't know whether I should laugh or cry at that statement.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Team Gomberg said:
good for you. thanks for taking them!

i'd say yes to soaking them. they most likely need the extra hydration for now. you may or may not have to keep it up, but start with daily soaks.

Thanks!

Yea...deformed? Ok! And they are ALL deformed really! She insisted that he is fine and she expects him to live a full healthy life. She says "he just came out of the egg that way". I asked her if they had ever seen a vet and she said no. Then said it would be ok if I didn't want the little one then..but I think he is the one that needs help the most.

Thanks to Shellysmom for making this all possible!

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Ok! Got them home and settled for the night. No pics because I can't get Tinypic to work from my phone or iPad and I don't have the pics on my computer. Over all everyone has a hard shell and I don't see any problems with their eyes, nose or mouth. I gave them a good soak and did the best I could do to improve their habitat for tonight...no more rabbit pellets, gave them a big water dish and a hide. Feed them some good greens and separated the smallest one. My youngest daughter is sweet she went and emptied one of her plastic toy drawers for the little one to be in! So here are their weights and measurements...they are nicknamed so we can tell who is who!

Runt is a whopping 95 grams and is very round. He/she is 6.5 CM long AND across. The "deformity" looks like he was kinda squished on the front and back scute.

Squish Scute (named because he has two front scutes that seem to have grown together) is 250 grams and 4.25 inches

Lumpy (because he seems to be the MOST pyramided) is 270 grams and 4.25 inches. This guy also seems to have some indents on his under shell. They don't feel soft or squishy though.

Spot (seems to have the least pyramiding and health shell with a spot on the front scute) is 250 grams and 4.2 inches.

They are all supposed to be 3 years old and from two clutches.

Tomorrow I am picking up 2 more "tank torts" for Waterboy. They are supposed to also be 3 years and are living in a tank on sand.

Then that will be it for me until I can get these guys into some good homes!

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
So happy you took them in for now! They look like they were fed a bad diet and housed in poor conditions! Hopefully they can find good homes!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Kim, this is amazing! Let me know if you end up needing more funds for supplies or vet visits.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I mentioned to my dad that their were some torts in need and he seemed interested in having one. He lives in S. Texas on 5 acres. If you need a home for one i'll run it by him again to double check. You can PM me with a price.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
"Tank torts" received! Holy urates! Got them soaked as soon as I got the home and off that sand! Phew! I didn't get measurements and weights for them yet though.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
This is such a great job you guys are doing. I don't know how many people are helping in your "Rescue" program, but, I would like to have a part in rescuing these beautiful animals. Aside from donations (which I also would like to do), what can I do to help in the project?

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
sibi said:
This is such a great job you guys are doing. I don't know how many people are helping in your "Rescue" program, but, I would like to have a part in rescuing these beautiful animals. Aside from donations (which I also would like to do), what can I do to help in the project?

Adopt!!! Or foster...or even help get the word out and try to help find some forever homes.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I am going to attached pics of the little ones on here. Bare with me cause I can't get tiny pic to work from my iPad or iPhone. I will put them each in their own reply so that you can look at only the ones you want.

For Waterboy:

image-4200970775.png

When I got them home after their first soak

image-1495711849.png

TT SMALL
weight 12 ounces.
image-3885429357.png

TT SMALL
4.25 inches

image-3922101457.png

TT BIG
weight 2+ pounds

image-3748531972.png

5.75 inches

image-2459580771.png

Or not attach. If you want any pics of them just PM me your email and I will send them!

Attachments

• image-1949668980.png
    image-1949668980.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 83

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
OK, here are some photos of the SIX sulcatas that Kim has taken in from sad CL homes, in an effort to make sure the next places they end up will be fantastic, amazing, knowledgeable, forever homes. They will all be up for adoption soon, so if you are interested please send me a PM. I know Sibi is already interested in the runtiest runt. :) There is an adoption fee to help cover some of our expenses so we can continue to help more tortoises, but I promise it's very reasonable. These guys are currently all in Arizona. 2 of them will be going to a foster home in California in a few days. We can arrange shipping when the time is right, but prefer to adopt out to people living in southern states with mild winters. If you live in Florida and want to adopt, you need to apply for an import permit, through the FWC, at least 10 days before the tort is scheduled to enter the state. Here are the pics:

WHEEEEEEEEE! REAL GRASS!!!!!!!!
photo(10).JPG

Nom Nom Nom "We're so happy to be out of that sandy little tank! And this food is delightful!!" Nom Nom Nom.
photo(8).JPG

"I might be a little deformed, but I'm super sweet!"
photo(6).JPG
photo(7).JPG

The runtiest runt at 3 years of age. Lumpy, bumpy, cute as a button, and about the size of one, too. Look at that little round tummy!! "SIBI, will you be my new mommy? Please say yes!!"
photo(11).JPG
photo(9).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Ha ha, I just realized your photos DID post. They didn't show up before. ????

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Great job in helping out those sweet little tortoises. Good luck with finding them great homes!:)

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
shellysmom said:
Ha ha, I just realized your photos DID post. They didn't show up before. ????

Nope! Didn't show up yesterday for me! I just saw them when I was looking at what you posted today! Weird!

Status
Not open for further replies.