Help with heat and humidity

Tortoisejim

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
When I get my indoor greenhouse for my 6 month old redfoot, how will I avoid uri? A lot of people say to make my che thermostat at 80 but isn’t the humidity supposed to be around 80? I feel like having them at around the same percentage is kind of risky for ri. Lmk what y’all think I should do for ambient temps and humidity levels

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
When I get my indoor greenhouse for my 6 month old redfoot, how will I avoid uri? A lot of people say to make my che thermostat at 80 but isn’t the humidity supposed to be around 80? I feel like having them at around the same percentage is kind of risky for ri. Lmk what y’all think I should do for ambient temps and humidity levels
There is no problem with respiratory issues with both high humidity AND high temperatures. The problem is when you have high humidity and lower temperatures. For a tropical species, like your redfoot, when maintaining high humidity, never let the temperatures drop below 80°, day or night.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most RF keepers on our site recommend an overall ambient temp of 82-88 day ad night for this species. No need for desiccating basking lamps. You avoid the RI by keeping temps up.