Help with infrared heat gun

FlyinJohnnyL

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
I finally got around to buying an infrared heat gun on Amazon, and it's a wonderful little tool. I have one question though. When I point it at my basking spot, if I point right at the center, it will jump up to like 125 degrees, whereas if I move it even a cm or two, it will drop back down into the high 90s/100ish. I can put my hand on the basking rock without burning myself, so I don't think it's getting up to 125. Is this just a malfunction of my gun? Anyone else have a problem like this?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It may be reading the heat comng from the bulb or dome closer to those items. Depending on the type you have, it will read in a V shape. There are others that if within an inch of object, it will read only what you are pointing at. You may have to get closer and make the V reading area smaller so it reads only what you want it to read.

G-stars

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Does it have a laser? If so where is the laser located top? Bottom?

I ask because I have the same problem sometimes. Also bulbs do heat unevenly, try measuring temps outside on the concrete.

FlyinJohnnyL

Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah it has a laser. I just point the laser at whatever temp I'm wanting. It seems to be within 2 degrees or so anywhere I point it except under the basking light.