Help with parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
So I think this belongs in this section. Anyway, I'm getting a tortoise in a few days. I'm most likely getting a Russian, but I want a leopard tort. My parents r saying no Bc it needs to go outside during summer and stuff and I have the perfect setup in mind for my outside enclosure. They r still saying no. How do I convince them to let me get a juvenile leopard tort?

Kate

5 Year Member
Rationally and maturely discuss with them the pros and cons, show them plans for the outdoor enclosure, with materials, dimensions, and costs of supplies. Explain to them how long it will take him to reach adulthood, etc etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Explain to them that Russians need to be outside too.

Soon enough you will be out on your own and you'll be able to have alllllllll the tortoises you want. And you'll be able to eat cake and ice cream for dinner too! :)

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
I'd wait until you have your own home, starting with a Russian and working up to a more advanced species isn't a bad thing. Leopards will need a lot more room then a Russian, plus if you end up going to school or living in an apartment a Russian would be way happier then a Leopard.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Plus the set up you have in your mind probably costs some $. And it would be in their back yard. I agree to starting with a Russian now and move up to leopards when you have your own place. Then you can fill it with all types of torts!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
LuckysGirl007 said:
Plus the set up you have in your mind probably costs some $. And it would be in their back yard. I agree to starting with a Russian now and move up to leopards when you have your own place. Then you can fill it with all types of torts!

Yeah, I agree with everyone else too :)

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Well if you can explain to them the benefits of leopards they might come along. Even though I’m 23 years old and live by myself, my mother always has had a huge impact on my decision making. So I had bought a Russian because my mother was nervous about the larger specious. I had never really appreciated the russian as much as I have my leopards, but the thing that I found is my mother ended up enjoying the tortoises just as much if not more than I do and if you take your parents along with you to see the leopard and explain to them the beauty and benefits of the specious then they just might cave. But it is important to get what you want, because if its not your going to regret it and when your cleaning, feeding, and washing it better be for something you enjoy.:)

On a side note, I am impressed with some of these kids that can work the internet. I remember haveing dial up when I first got my computer at 15 and couldnt even surf google, let alone set up a TFO account, I commend you and if your as determined as it shows you are, youll get a tortoise that youll love and enjoy.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
dcwolfe said:
On a side note, I am impressed with some of these kids that can work the internet. I remember haveing dial up when I first got my computer at 15 and couldnt even surf google, let alone set up a TFO account, I commend you and if your as determined as it shows you are, youll get a tortoise that youll love and enjoy.
LOL....This makes me laugh. When I was 15, I had never in my life heard the word "internet" before. There were computers. But only in the workplace, and they were monsters that took up the whole room. To me dial up internet was "just yesterday". I'm amazed by "these kids" that never knew a time in their life without computers and internet.

Anyway, I have to agree with everyone else. Start with something smaller. If you don't want a russian, research and found out what you do like.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Kate said:
Rationally and maturely discuss with them the pros and cons, show them plans for the outdoor enclosure, with materials, dimensions, and costs of supplies. Explain to them how long it will take him to reach adulthood, etc etc.

If this doesn't work, go with good old fashioned manipulation. :D Find a good leopard and tell them it is a rescue, parents can never say no when their child wants to help someone or something. I do have to agree though with the others, start with a russian and later get a more advanced species.

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
Thx guys. I asked again and they didn't budge. Just gonna get a baby Russian tomorrow which is still exciting. Just Hv to wait for leopard. Thx anyways!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
ckidd_1999 said:
Thx guys. I asked again and they didn't budge. Just gonna get a baby Russian tomorrow which is still exciting. Just Hv to wait for leopard. Thx anyways!

Post pics of your new baby when you get him! :)

jaketheskate

5 Year Member
Yeah, I'm 13 and I have a Russian that I got when he was less than 3 months old, I've had him since I was in kindergarten. He is like a best pal to me, and he doesn't seem to mind being in my room too much. Russians are really cool! Congrats even tho u wanted a leopard! : )

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
jaketheskate said:
Yeah, I'm 13 and I have a Russian that I got when he was less than 3 months old, I've had him since I was in kindergarten. He is like a best pal to me, and he doesn't seem to mind being in my room too much. Russians are really cool! Congrats even tho u wanted a leopard! : )

That's a cool story :)

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
Here u go.

image-3903881219.png

There u go. He's a baby Greek tortoise

Attachments

• image-260630034.png
    image-260630034.png
    227.1 KB · Views: 44
  • image-2102231037.png
    image-2102231037.png