Help with redfoot age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nociti

5 Year Member
I just got a little redfoot tortoise but the seller was not able to tell me exactly how old it is. I'd really like to know down to the month when it hatched. Maybe someone can help me out. Also, it's probably too early to tell, but I'd appreciate opinions on its sex. Here are some measurements:

Weight: 2.9 oz
Length: 9.2 cm (3.6 in) *note, I measured from tip of shell to tip of shell, curving my tape measure around the shell, I'm not sure if this is how you properly measure a tortoise- look at the picture below to see how I did it.*

How I measured:
measure.png

Pictures of the tortoise:
1.png
2.png

Last edited by a moderator:

immayo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
He's 105!! jk
I don't know if there is any ways to tell the exact age but mine is about the same size as your and is about 9 months old.. although I did have someone tell me they have one who is 2years old and is smaller than my guy..

EDIT: mine is measured straight on top of the shell with a ruler not on a curve and is a little over 3inches

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
The proper measurement is to measure the plastron, from the back of the shell to the front. I would say, at that age and weight, IF he's been receiving proper care prior to your adoption, he is less then 8 months old.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I presume Immayo you're talking about my one? I measured SCL as above, and he measures just under 3 inches through that method. He was CB January 2011, from a good breeder around here and I picked him up and deliberately chose him as he was extremely healthy. The breeder's lines are small, she has around 10 and her largest is a 38 year old male, 33 cm. Most are 25-30cm. I don't like the idea of the bigger the better idea, as torts grown slowly will generally have less pyramiding problems. In the wild of course, they grow much slower than in captivity.

Nociti

5 Year Member
Using the proper measuring technique, he comes out to 7 cm or 2.8 inches.

abclements

5 Year Member
Nociti said:
Using the proper measuring technique, he comes out to 7 cm or 2.8 inches.

Mine is exactly that size (7cm long and 2.7 ounces) and he is about 7.5 months old, give or take a few weeks. The breeder told me 3-6 months old when i got him in october. So i guessed 4.5 months and it seems to be pretty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.