Help with research paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
So I am going to be writing a research paper for my collage English class on the husbandry and care of Leopards, Russians, and Box turtles. Unfortunately I cannot use the forum. So I was hoping you guys can give me links to websites whose information is reliable. I need 10 in total.

Also is my thesis strong sounding?
"Tortoises are a pet that requires a lot of time, research, and dedication"

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Jacqui said:

I am aware that box turtles are not tortoises, but they spend their life on land and not in the water, so their husbandry requirements are that of a tortoise that likes humid moist hides, but not watery ones like a turtle. Also thank you for the link. I wish the paper would be enjoyable, but the teacher I have really is not a pleasant women, when I told her my idea, she came off that she did not care and was really not paying attention to my explanation of why I am doing the topic.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Box turtles are semi aquatic still and is still a turtle. Diet also plays a big factor. Tortoises a turtles arnt labeled by how we care for them. I would def fix your thesis and or change the box tuetle part to another species. Maybe a actual tortoise that requires humidity... Or why not do a tortoise, and more aquatic turtle like res or paints, and then te box turtle. And so care and differences.

Or I would do 3 different tortoises species with 3 different requirements for care, cuz everyone thinks tortoises are mostly desert when it's not the truth.

Ps I've done multiple college papers on tortoises turtles box turtles. And teachers always find it interesting if you do it good and right.

Why did you pick the species you have (Russian, leopard, box turtle )?

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Millerlite said:
Box turtles are semi aquatic still and is still a turtle. Diet also plays a big factor. Tortoises a turtles arnt labeled by how we care for them. I would def fix your thesis and or change the box tuetle part to another species. Maybe a actual tortoise that requires humidity... Or why not do a tortoise, and more aquatic turtle like res or paints, and then te box turtle. And so care and differences.

Or I would do 3 different tortoises species with 3 different requirements for care, cuz everyone thinks tortoises are mostly desert when it's not the truth.

Ps I've done multiple college papers on tortoises turtles box turtles. And teachers always find it interesting if you do it good and right.

Why did you pick the species you have (Russian, leopard, box turtle )?

I will explain about the Box Turtle and its situation and how it is classified differently when I reach their part in the paper, it has to be about 8 pages minimum if I am correct. I work at a place where we rehabilitate boxies and educate the general public about them. I chose those species since they are so popular, I could also do Sulcatas, but I feel that it would be repeating itself with the leopards, since they have similar husbandry requirements. Also felt like educating the kids in my class encase any of the kid decided to buy one. I could do my paper on bats, but I decided to write a research paper on something I have not written on before.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
So I just found out we cannot use more than 2 websites, know any good books. Going to see if our library has any for me. I have 2 already from SA, but Russians and Box are not in them.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Looks like you have a good direction you want to go with, sounds like a fun paper to write lol I'm a nerd. But good look. Let us know how it goes!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
What about picking a thesis a little more specific to coin the entire paper on. Pertain it to husbandry but thesis the point to entice the reader of intrigueing captures of a tortoise. Perhaps choose a detailed thesis based on one specific husbandry for one species. This way you can cover each broken paragraph in the paper on each different topic that all pertains within the thesis.

For example.

"Captive Lifestyle of Chelonia"(title)

intro with thesis
"among many animals in our natural world we live comes with great detail of care. What we dont see behind the laws of nature is the challenge to accomodate these unique creatures in captivity without challenges. Chelonia (turtles/tortoises) are beyond the common thought of a turtle crossing the road. Would we be so different to compare, a lifestyle of raising a child to that of raising a turtle or tortoise.

Paragraph

talk about the begining life of a baby tortoise etc...

Paragraph

talk about food sources, mineral, vitamin needs, what plants each species or whatever species you wish to thesis it on. etc..

Paragraph

Temperatures, wild habitat versus captive habitat etc..

Paragraph

lifestyles of daily, yearly, decade regimes. health, and how husbandry plays a vital role in keeping them to live a long life.

Paragraph

Changes in habitat needs in captivity and adjustments etc...

Conclusion

blah blah blah.

maybe something like that.

AC high field has a great book covering tortoises in general. You can also do PDF searches online and find great lengthy articles on husbandry of certain species that will tell you all you need to know.

"Proceedings" books are very good.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
tortadise said:
What about picking a thesis a little more specific to coin the entire paper on. Pertain it to husbandry but thesis the point to entice the reader of intrigueing captures of a tortoise. Perhaps choose a detailed thesis based on one specific husbandry for one species. This way you can cover each broken paragraph in the paper on each different topic that all pertains within the thesis.

For example.

"Captive Lifestyle of Chelonia"(title)

intro with thesis
"among many animals in our natural world we live comes with great detail of care. What we dont see behind the laws of nature is the challenge to accomodate these unique creatures in captivity without challenges. Chelonia (turtles/tortoises) are beyond the common thought of a turtle crossing the road. Would we be so different to compare, a lifestyle of raising a child to that of raising a turtle or tortoise.

Paragraph

talk about the begining life of a baby tortoise etc...

Paragraph

talk about food sources, mineral, vitamin needs, what plants each species or whatever species you wish to thesis it on. etc..

Paragraph

Temperatures, wild habitat versus captive habitat etc..

Paragraph

lifestyles of daily, yearly, decade regimes. health, and how husbandry plays a vital role in keeping them to live a long life.

Paragraph

Changes in habitat needs in captivity and adjustments etc...

Conclusion

blah blah blah.

maybe something like that.

AC high field has a great book covering tortoises in general. You can also do PDF searches online and find great lengthy articles on husbandry of certain species that will tell you all you need to know.

"Proceedings" books are very good.

Thanks or the great ideas, but I really do want to talk about those specific species. I am changing my thesis to "Tortoise and land turtles are a pet that require a lot of time, dedication, and research."

This is a working thesis so as I am writing it will most likely change as I start thinking.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tess Cook has a box turtle box, I can't recall how good I thought it was, but the author name sticks in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.