Help with species

SarahM

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help!

My boyfriend bought his tortoise years ago (she's 12 now) and he was told she was an African Spur Thigh. I decided to have a Google to do some research to make sure we're looking after her properly as I don't think he got the best advice when he bought her.

Apparently they're the third largest type of tortoise?! To be honest I'm not sure if that's what she is, but would love if anyone could give their opinion, or let me know of anyone IMG_20180520_122102365.jpg IMG_20180520_122141241_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20180520_122158563.jpg IMG_20180520_122205797.jpg in Scotland who could help tell us what breed she is so we can make sure we're looking after her appropriately.

Thanks so much for any help. :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm not entirely sure what species but I can tell you for sure it's not a Sulcata (African Spur Thigh). Wait for some of the more experienced people to come along I'm sure they can help you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, the "spur thigh" part of the name MIGHT be correct though. Usually folks think an "african spur thigh" Is a sulcata. That's deff. not a sulcata. Maybe a Greek?? I'll send a shout out to @Markw84 and @HermanniChris I'm thinking greek or marginated. Let's wait to hear from them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your pics won't load for me. I'm in an area with weak internet. All I can see is the top quarter of each pic...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't help with species but I can help with pointing out the beak is too long and the back toe nails need some trimming. Also the original care was wrong, but it was for a lot of people before this forum came along.

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
I do not know the exact species of your tortoise. But I do recognize a healthy tortoise no matter the species. Your boyfriends tortoise has an overgrown beak, a pyramided shell, overgrown nails and possibly splayed legs. The overgrown beak because of soft foods fed on smooth surfaces. The pyramided shell because of being raised without enough humidity. Overgrown nails and splayed legs because the floor surface did not have rough uneven surfaces in which to walk against. This tortoise is fortunate that you have entered your boyfriends life.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
That's a Greek tortoise (testudo graeca), so she's almost full grown.
The pyramiding is not so bad (I've seen far worse, doesn't mean she's not healthy) but the nails and beak definitely show that your boyfriend should improve the husbandry.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Agree that it is certainly a "Greek" tortoise - Testudo graeca However, with the pyramiding and unnatural growth, it is hard for me to tell the subspecies. Perhaps @HermanniChris can verify the subspecies as he is the true Testudo expert. To me, I would say T g ibera or possible T g buxtoni

SarahM

Glasgow
I'm not entirely sure what species but I can tell you for sure it's not a Sulcata (African Spur Thigh). Wait for some of the more experienced people to come along I'm sure they can help you.
Thank goodness! :p Thanks!

SarahM

Glasgow
I can't help with species but I can help with pointing out the beak is too long and the back toe nails need some trimming. Also the original care was wrong, but it was for a lot of people before this forum came along.
Thanks a lot for the advice, that's really helpful. :)

SarahM

Glasgow
That's a Greek tortoise (testudo graeca), so she's almost full grown.
The pyramiding is not so bad (I've seen far worse, doesn't mean she's not healthy) but the nails and beak definitely show that your boyfriend should improve the husbandry.

Thank you so much, that's really helpful. I know, I'm starting to realize this. We'll make sure we get her to a vet and get her kitted out with everything she needs now we have a better idea on her breed and needs. Thanks so much. :)

SarahM

Glasgow
Agree that it is certainly a "Greek" tortoise - Testudo graeca However, with the pyramiding and unnatural growth, it is hard for me to tell the subspecies. Perhaps @HermanniChris can verify the subspecies as he is the true Testudo expert. To me, I would say T g ibera or possible T g buxtoni
Thank you! A quick Google of 'greek tortoise' has shown that they also go by 'spur thighed'? So maybe this is where the confusion came from. We want to make sure she's getting looked after properly so any help is appreciated. :)

SarahM

Glasgow
I do not know the exact species of your tortoise. But I do recognize a healthy tortoise no matter the species. Your boyfriends tortoise has an overgrown beak, a pyramided shell, overgrown nails and possibly splayed legs. The overgrown beak because of soft foods fed on smooth surfaces. The pyramided shell because of being raised without enough humidity. Overgrown nails and splayed legs because the floor surface did not have rough uneven surfaces in which to walk against. This tortoise is fortunate that you have entered your boyfriends life.
Thanks a lot for all the pointers, it's upsetting to hear there's potentially so much wrong with her as my bf was just following the previous owner's advice, but we're on here to get advice from more knowledgeable people, so thanks. Think the first step will be getting a vet experienced in torts!