What species?

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hi everyone!
I was looking for some help identifying what species my tortoise is. It sounds silly but when we first initially bought him he was advertised as a Greek spur thighed tortoise. However on his certificate (which you legally need to have in the UK) it says the country of origin was Turkey. To confuse the matter more when I did my research I think he looks like a Tunisian spur thigh!! It wouldn't normally bother me however Tunisian spur thighs can't hibernate because they don't have sufficient body fat levels (although I'm sure you guys already know that )
Any help would be appreciated
Kirsty

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All three of the tortoises you mentioned in your text are the same species. Testudo gracea.

I don't know whether or not Testudo grace from Tunisia should be hibernated or not, but it has nothing to do with body fat.

We all agree that Chris is the best at IDing the specific greek subspecies.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Beautiful animal but in no way is it a Tunisian. You without a doubt have a Turkish Testudo graeca ibera.
Thanks so much. I only thought he may be Tunisian due to the yellow patch on his head and as a natural worrier (particularly with my tort!) I had to check - so thanks so much for easing my mind