Help with temps of enclosure I'm worried they are too hot

Chloe2003

I have been busy getting my set up ready for my baby :) I keep checking the temps and the basking area gets to 100-115 and I have a CHE for night and it's 115-120. Did I get the wrong wattage? Both are 125 watts. I have raised the lights up some but it's still 105-109. The cooler side is around 78-85. Please let me know if I should go to a 100 watt or if these temps are ok. There is plenty of room for my little guy to get away from the lights. I have them towards one side. The basking bulb is the MV Solar Glo I saw it suggested on here. I'm so excited and cannot wait to get my little guy tomorrow. I appreciate all your advice.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
The CHE can be controlled with a thermostat that has a probe placed in the enclosure near the substrate. Once set, it will keep the ambient and night time temps within a couple of degrees of where you want them. You will still need to rely on your thermometer for accurate temperature measurement. An on-off type thermostat is all that is required. I have used on like this for years in several different enclosures and not had any problems.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CZ0J3E/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would go with the above suggestion. Your baskng temp isn't bad but the all over temp is high. What is the humidity? You should have an 80% humidity with and over all temp of 80. Toms threads below are the ones to follow for raising a healthy and smooth sulcata. Good luck.

Zeko

5 Year Member
Not to go against what has been said, but you should use your own judgment in regards to temperatures.

Does your tortoise spend most of its time on the warm side or cool side? Does he bask most of the time?

Your little guy will tell you what he likes based upon where he spends the majority of his time.

My youngest Sulcata loves the heat. He will sit in the warmest spots, regardless of where that may be. Ambient temp is 85-90, basking is 110. When I asked Tom about this, he said the same: Each tortoise has their own preferences, and by watching them you will see.

Just make sure with that higher temp, you daily soak and have high humidity. CHE's can quickly dry a tortoise out.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Also make sure there aren't any obstacles near or under the hot spot where your tort could get stuck or flip itself over and over heat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Raise your basking lamp a little more and put your CHE on a thermostat set to 80.

If your enclosure is an open topped one, you are in for a rough time of trying to maintain temperatures and humidity. You should not bring the little one home until you have all these things worked out.