Hercegovinensis?

Bucknut78

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hi,

I purchased a baby tortoise listed as hercegovinensis. After looking at HermanniChris' diagrams I think it may be a boetteri. Can someone please confirm?

DM Backs.jpg DM Soak.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm afraid I'm of no help...I just wanted to welcome you to the Forum!

Bucknut78

Ohio
Thank you. I completely believe the breeder, I'd just like someone's opinion as to what the identifying marks are either way. I opted for a Dalmatian over an Eastern hoping it stays a bit smaller. This is my first tortoise :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He will need a plastron shot.

Bucknut78

Ohio
The plastron shot attached is of the tortoise. It is in the group of 4 and one of the 2 in the other shot.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Baby hercegovinensis are nearly impossible to differentiate from boettgeri especially since they are a geographical variant of boettgeri. I do see inguinal scutes present on these babies which is in favor of boettgeri but hercegovinensis can and do posses them. Can you get photos of the parents? That's the only way to be 100% positive. Also, if you want to share who produced them that may help. There are some people who have legitimate hercegovinensis adults that I know of and can vouch for them. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not publicly share that info.