Here came another egg!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Ruby layed another egg today... but she didn't eat it! :D My question-is it fertile? She layed it in a little bitty depression, it wasn't even a hole, really, and didn't cover it up. It feels much heavier than her last clutch
(Oh, yeah about that. Her last clutch was layed almost all at once... one little guy, and then 4 more in a nest [legit nest, too] but this one is just singular?) o_O
Here is the little thing-
ss.jpg gg.jpg
-What do you think? The shell feels strong with a little give, no dents. Should I be expecting more (how many more clutches?? I would have thought she'dve run out by now) Why didn't she east this one, because it was on land? (which makes me think it's viable?)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:D OMG, Elmo, I thought you were a boy! :p;) No, just kidding. This is my female red eared sliders egg :<3:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
On second thought, should I be expecting another clutch from miss YBS, too? She only had a few eggs, in the 'first round'.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
You won be able to know if it's fertile until it starts to develop or not develop. Incubate and find out. Another question would be I she was with a male?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, for a about 3 months before her fist clutch, and then they all had to live together AGAIN outside for a bit before I got a couple kiddie pools so they could be separate (and clean) :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:confused: So my question is, what should I do with the little bugger? Currently (while I was waiting for the verdict) it's sitting a cup of moist sand.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
No, unfortunately I do not! Is having an incubator necessary? Higher (than average?) humidity is a go, right? Much like with little suclata eggs?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
No it's not necessary. Just try and keep it in the 80s. Higher temps usually are female. But some TSD (temperature sex determination) is reversed in species. Not sure about red ears. It's fun hatching turtles, but these are incredibly invasive and overpopulated. Any reason to incubate it all? @Anthony P would know more on the incubation regime of these guys.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, I know :( I've seen some wild red eared sliders in the river here, just little guys, but I know they are invasive :( No, not really, actually! So now that I have the lay-down, I'll be be deciding what to do with the little eggy... :(:)
Thank you :)