Here's what I've come up with!

Grapes

Building a lid for a 40 gal breeder tank. It will be made of acrylic and have some holes put in for heating and humidity. Still not sure how I'm gonna do it just yet. But here's a crude drawing with my current idea. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452204024.245340.jpg

Anyone know of a safe sealant to use around the ceramic element for the bulb if I do go that route. I've also considered just making a hole large enough for the cord and hanging the light inside with hooks screwed into the lid from inside. I'd also hang a UVB strip bulb inside. Any suggestions are welcome.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
36 inch by 18 inch is way too small for most tortoises for any length of time and not worth spending the money on. Go big, 3 or 4 feet by 6 or 8 feet and if it's for a hatchling, you can always put a divider in so it uses only half of it and just remove the divider as it grows. Build once and soak money into it once.

Grapes

I figured the size was too small and wouldn't last very long but i want to get the hatchling started out right. I have the 40 gal breeder laying around and figured I could put it to use for at least a little while. I also want to see how this lid works for closing up a regular aquarium. I've followed Toms advice on starting hatchlings out in a closed chamber. I can build another enclosure in the meantime but wanted to test a smaller version out and report the results on TFO to help others who are struggling with maintaining humidity and temps.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I figured the size was too small and wouldn't last very long but i want to get the hatchling started out right. I have the 40 gal breeder laying around and figured I could put it to use for at least a little while. I also want to see how this lid works for closing up a regular aquarium. I've followed Toms advice on starting hatchlings out in a closed chamber. I can build another enclosure in the meantime but wanted to test a smaller version out and report the results on TFO to help others who are struggling with maintaining humidity and temps.
Gotcha. Sounds good then. Look forward to the update.

Grapes

Any suggestions on how to seal up the holes once I have the lights and humidifier hose installed? I obviously need something that can handle the temps of the lights ceramic element and is safe for the tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A. It so nice looking, but cheap way would be tin foil. It will also protect what it covers from the heat and warping. Anything like silicone would be more permanent and if any changing out needed to be done, you'd have to remove the silicone and then add more when the swap out was done.

Grapes

Ok so silicone sealant is safe for reptiles? I'm thinking I'd go more permanent I keep other types of reptiles that are perfect for this tank so once I'm done experimenting and the tort needs to be moved I could use it for other animals.

Kasia

Poland
Ok so silicone sealant is safe for reptiles? I'm thinking I'd go more permanent I keep other types of reptiles that are perfect for this tank so once I'm done experimenting and the tort needs to be moved I could use it for other animals.
I would not put ordinary silicone sealant close to the heat lamps - If I were You I would modify the design and let the whole lamp fixture (or just the bulb in ceramic fixture) into enclosure. The only bit which You need to seal of then is the lamp's cable and humidifier hose for which epoxy resin or silicone will do.

Good luck ;)

Grapes

Ok thanks for the info. I didn't think silicone and hot ceramic mixed.

ArcT

While researching how to best seal my new enclosure i found that pond sealant is 100% silicone and is considered safe for aquatic fish. It was 9.99 for a tiny tube because it was advertised as "safe for fish". I then walked over with the package to the caulking aisle to compare labels and found a large tube to fit my caulk gun for cheaper making sure the sealant tube was 100% silicone.

I am not sure of more experienced keepers opinions and openly admit i am a new keeper with just as many questions, but a smooth bead should give nothing for a tortoise to grab on to or eat i would think.

I will continue to watch my lil one closely on all aspects of his/her habitat jic, but i could think of no other way to seal my box. It is no where near heat however. I have used tinfoil tape to seal things as best as possible near any potential heat. Just tossing out ideas. Good luck with the habitat.