Barbiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
"This table is made from quality pine" - I'm not sure if unvarnished pine is a problem for the walls of an enclosure, but I know pine is a big no-no to use as a substrate (it's toxic to torts.) The limestone flour is a calcium supplement, and I'm assuming that's what the oystershell is for too so that's good.

80 pounds after shipping seems a bit expensive though (80 British pounds = 132.02400 U.S. dollars,) and you can get a plastic bin for a fraction of that cost (although it won't look as professional.) You can also just get a small 2-3 shelf bookshelf, take out the shelves (you can use them to construct the hide,) and lay it on its back to use and that will look a little better.

Other than the pine issue, it looks like it would work perfectly fine for a hatchling (I still think it sounds expensive though.)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I'm glad someone piped in with the conversion. I had no idea if that was cheap or not. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG! That's a beautiful tortoise table! I love it. You don't have to worry about pine being used as the table because it has gone through a drying process, and been stacked in the lumber yard, etc. By the time it is used in construction, the oils are more than likely not an issue anymore. Then it probably has been varnished or shellacked to preserve it. I think its ok. Most of the book cases you buy are also made of pine. If you can afford that table and the shipping, go for it!

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Also wanted to chime in I think pine is fine. That is what I used it, and although I did seal it, I would have done without and felt comfortable using it still. Agree it's fine for an enclosure but not substrate.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
What a beautiful tortoise enclosure. I always look at things like that and think to myself "Why didn't I think of that?". :(

Status
Not open for further replies.