Herman tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginge

5 Year Member
Can anybody suggest the best food for my Herman tort.he eats curly kale,cucumber pellets and cucumber as if its going out of fashion.quite partial to a few strawberries and apple

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Fruit is not recommended for Hermanns, much as they love it. Their bodies cannot process the sugars and it is harmful to them. If you do feed fruit, it should be very occasional.

The best food for your tort is leafy green weeds which are full of vitamins, minerals and, most importantly, fibre. Kale is fine in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Cucumber is mostly water and can cause diarrhoea if too much is fed. Commercial tortoise food pellets (soaked) are fine too. Most people feed 2-3 times a week as part of a balanced diet.

You can check out which weeds, salads and vegetables make good food by looking them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database

ginge

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
Fruit is not recommended for Hermanns, much as they love it. Their bodies cannot process the sugars and it is harmful to them. If you do feed fruit, it should be very occasional.

The best food for your tort is leafy green weeds which are full of vitamins, minerals and, most importantly, fibre. Kale is fine in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Cucumber is mostly water and can cause diarrhoea if too much is fed. Commercial tortoise food pellets (soaked) are fine too. Most people feed 2-3 times a week as part of a balanced diet.

You can check out which weeds, salads and vegetables make good food by looking them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database

Much a appreciated Joes mam.the fruit is only occasional I feed my tort.I will certainly hav a gud read thru link u sent.thank u for ur help.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
My hermie crush gets dandilions everyday when available, otherwise i "got told" the darker the leaves the better they r, so i always buy crush baby leaf mix x

Status
Not open for further replies.